Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a wonderfull bean!

Options
Vegas Slim
Vegas Slim Posts: 166
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
need some help for some baked bean type dish for the 4th can anyone help me?

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    Bush's bean are quite good out of the can. You can doctor them up with some molassas or brown sugar, onions, peppers, cumin among things. Great when your in a pinch. Have you thought about bringing the Corn Jalapeno caserole? That too is easy and yummy. Below is a great bean dish.... if you want from scratch...[p]Canadian Cowboy Baked Beans:
    3/4 pound dried white beans, picked over to remove any broken beans and stones
    1/2 pound bacon, diced
    1 cup chopped yellow onions
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon Essence
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with their juices
    1 (12-ounce) bottle lager or ale
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup Canadian whiskey
    2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 bay leaves
    In a large pot, place the beans and cover with water by 3 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the beans are just tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside. In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until brown and the fat is rendered, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. To the fat in the pan, add the onions, chili powder, Essence, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and their juices, and cook for 2 minutes.
    Add the beer, syrup, sugar, stock, whiskey, mustard, Worcestershire and bay leaves. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and continue to simmer until tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, and adding more water as needed to keep the beans covered.
    Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning, to taste.
    Yield: 6 to 8 servings [p]Yield: 4 servings
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Difficulty: Medium[p]
    Someone posted this before, I can't remember who. Good Luck!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Wardster,
    thanks!! sounds great...where is this corn jalepeno recipe?

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Egger your are in luck. Following are 2 recipes from friends of mine. Please credit Ray who credited someone else and Fishboy aka Salmon aka Rick who will prob never send me another recipe w/ this crossover. But I'm pretty sure these have kicked 'a in comp & I know they have in some of my caters.
    DTM
    Posted by Ray Basso on April 03, 1998 at 07:37:29:[p]In Reply to: BBQ Beans posted by Omaha Smoke on April 02, 1998 at 20:46:17:[p]I checked the Archives and the best one is missing so here is the re-post.
    It was posted by Jerry Berwnager June 29, 1996.[p]Here's a recipe that works well with me and is enjoyed by all of my friends.
    2 - 16 oz cans of beans (in Kansas City I use Bush Baked Beans)
    Drain sauce out of can and discard.
    3/4 cup BBQ sauce
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped green pepper
    1 cup chopped smoked pork or brisket (or use bacon)
    2 tablespoons honey
    3/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard[p]Serves 6
    Fold together all ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to analuminum baking
    pan. Place in smoker uncovered at medium heat (225 F- 275 F.) for about 90
    minutes or until heated though.[p](DTM Notes 1-1-99 Added 1/2 chopped jalepeno & microed both peppers for 1 min
    to soften)
    (DTM Notes 8-28-99 No Gr pepper so added seeded, deviened jalepeno, way too hot. Also
    forgot to drain the canned beans)
    Hint: Next time you smoke a pork shoulder or brisket put some away in a
    freezer bag for use in your beans. I use apple wood but hickory and oak
    work well, you'll have to experiment with your particular cooker.

Rick’s Blue Ribbon Beans[p]Two 28 oz & one 15 and one-half oz can of Bush’s original baked beans
    One 16 ounce bottle of barbeque sauce
    1 small yellow onion finely dices
    One-half green pepper finely diced
    3 celery stalks finely diced
    1 cup prepared yellow mustard
    1 to 1 and one-half pound brown sugar
    One-forth cup (Rick’s Rib Rub)
    2 tablespoons of celery seed
    1 pound of finely chopped smoked pork or brisket
    One 9 X 13 disposable aluminum pan (Sam’s half steam pans)[p]
    Put all of the ingredients except for the brown sugar in the pan and mix well. Cover with the brown sugar (about one-half to 1 inch thick over the entire pan). Put in the smoker at 200 to 225 degrees for 2 to 3 hours. Use hickory wood on the fire for flavor. Let the sugar melt down into the bean mixture. Stirring is forbidden.[p]
    For two of the 9 x 13 pans I use one of the gallon size can of beans. Bush’s is the best but Showboat from Sam’s works well $2.22 per can. I’ve tried Van Camps but not impressed. Been using 12 oz. Of the BBQ sauce and it seems to work just as well. I dropped it when I had to make several gallons for a catering gig. I generally use KC Masterpiece but anything along that line will do fine. The rib rub, I now use Smokin’ Guns hot or sometimes a hickory seasoning if I can find it.[p]I was looking over the bean recipe after I sent it to you. I recently cut it half for those not wanting to make a large quantity. I think that I did not cut the mustard in half so why don't you change that to about 1/2 cup. [p][p]
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    in the recipe section on the home page.... under side dishes or apps I think. It is very easy and very good.....

Apollo Beach, FL