Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first cook with DigiQ

Options
WV Mike
WV Mike Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my new DigiQ and I am cooking a chicken right now. So far its pretty impressive how it hit the temp. I have been thinking about getting one of these for a couple of years. If anyone has any dos or don't with this thing on a large egg, I'm all ears.

God Bless,
Mike :)

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hi Mike,

Congrats on the DigiQ...it is a great piece of gear to have, especially when it's cold outside and you're cooking low-and-slow. For the LBGE, I usually choke the 10cfm fan which came with mine down to 1/3. For the SBGE, I close it down to 1/4.

After you're done cooking, shut the damper first, then power off the unit. I found a bunch of water in mine the first time. The water was just dripping out of the BGE adaptor pipe.

What else...there is a cool feature which displays pit/meat alternately, and I believe the key combo is on the back. Really great at night when you're peeking out of the window to see where you are in the cook.

Have fun!
  • Hillbilly Willy
    Options
    Hi Mike. Just got mine as well and have used it 3 or 4 times. It holds the temp well on the LBGE. Haven't found any "don't do that" issues yet. It delivers all the good qualities of the egg with the convience of an indoor range.

Where in WV are you? I am near Parkersburg.

Bill
  • WV Mike
    Options
    I am in between Clarksburg and Salem only about an hour east of you.

The pit temp was right on the money. That part is really cool.

The food temp was about 40 degrees high. I compared it to both a good instant read standard thermometer and my wireless probe. They were spot on with each other and the DigiQ was way off. It really through me off on the cook. I shouldn't have trusted it the first time out.

I ran through the calibration process so I hope that has it squared away.
  • WV Mike
    Options
    I am in between Clarksburg and Salem only about an hour east of you.

The pit temp was right on the money. That part is really cool.

The food temp was about 40 degrees high. I compared it to both a good instant read standard thermometer and my wireless probe. They were spot on with each other and the DigiQ was way off. It really through me off on the cook. I shouldn't have trusted it the first time out.

I ran through the calibration process so I hope that has it squared away.
  • Hillbilly Willy
    Options
    We are less than 3 miles from the new US50 bridge across the Ohio River. It is set to open next month after many delays. We will be passing close to you on Memorial Day weekend on our way to Pocahontas County. We host an annual BMW motorcycle rally there. http://www.mountaineerbmw.org

The one time that I used the food probe it was within a degree or two of the Thermapen reading. You may want to make sure the probe is plugged solidly into the DQ2 and see what it thinks the temperature of boiling water is in WV. I think that where and how the probe is placed in the food makes the reading vary. I’ll bet the DQ folks will fix it without a hassle if it is broke.

Bill