Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt finished in foil??

Marvin
Marvin Posts: 515
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I almost always finish a brisket flat by foiling it at 160 and finishing the cook (in foil) when the temp hits 200. Can this be done satisfactorily to a pork butt? What kind of results do you all have with this method? Anything lost? Anything gained besides time?
Thanks for the input.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I don't use that method for butts. It can be used but I wouldn't do it. Seems like too much fat would be trapped in the foil and lead to a greasy product. If you are pressed on time just crank the dome temp up.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I tried something like that once, and happen to be doing it again this afternoon, because I'm short on time. The method I found had the butt in a tin foil pan with some liquid, then tent sealed with HD foil for 1.5 hours at 350. Then, an hour at 250 to return the bark.

The results were passable, but not nearly as good as a lo-n-slo. The bottom of the butt became sort of hard. I think this was because the sugars in the rub melt, and go to the bottom of the pan. Then, when the meat is finished, the sugars become dense carmel. The top was pretty tender,and not too greasy.

Today I'm going to elevate the butt on a little rack, and just use a bit of water in the pan.
  • Marvin
    Please let me know your results.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I've Egg'd a number of butts to 200 & let 'em rest a bit before pullin'. Recently I cooked some in a similar fashion, then wrapped in foil & towels for a few hours stay in the cooler. After pullin', I couldn't taste any difference between the two. What did matter was that I had a good bit of wiggle-room between the end of the cook and the serving time. 8 - ))
  • Marvin
    That is what I usually do, but now I'm looking for a faster cook - if its possible.