Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp for Pizza PLEASE

Options
Gloria
Gloria Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have got the dough ready to punch down and the toppings ready....Can't find consistent info about temp for Egg cooking pizza Just got the plate setter and am going to use a pizza stone on top of it. Any quick responses will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Gloria,
    We do our pizzas at 550 for about 8 minutes, calzones for about 15 minutes. We use the plate setter (feet down) with pizza stone on top. Happy eating!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    nikkig,
    Under 6 minutes on a response...not bad!
    Since you brought up calzones, I've got a question. How do you make them? Use basic pizza dough with goodies on one side and fold the dough over??[p]By the way Gloria, how'd the pizza come out?

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Shelby,
    Well, calzones was kinda a fluke. We messed up our first attempt at pizza (not enough flour and it stuck to the counter), so we just flipped the thing in half and cooked it. Turned out pretty good. When we now do calzones, I just put toppings on one half, fold dough over, seal tightly and bake for 15 minutes. I have found you don't want your dough as thick as you would for pizza.

[ul][li]Pizza Page[/ul]
  • DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    Gloria,[p]Don't forget to let the pizza stone heat up on the setter for about 20 minutes before you put the first pizza on. Or else the bottom of the pizza won't cook as well.[p]I hope I'm not too late. :)

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Shelby,[p]Don't know if you've seen this before but here's a link to the calzone recipe that Mrs. Puj baked at Eggtoberfest 2001.[p]Puj
    [ul][li]Mrs. Puj's Calzone Recipe[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Puj,
    Thanks!
    That looks pretty awesome. One more question: if you cut that quantity of dough into 8 pieces, what size are the calzones?

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Shelby,
    The cooking of the pizza was perfect! It duplicated that we have had in Italy and we were very pleased with the result; however, I have to work on my topping a bit more. The cheese we used was not as good as we would have liked and I used fresh tomatoes and I think that the canned Italian Romas would have been better. I have to travel about an hour to get really good cheese and I just used some from the local Kroger...a fresh Mozzarello and a block of thge same grated. But cooking it on the Egg is wonderful. Used the plate setter and a pizza stone and cooked it around 550-600 for 8 minutes. Can't wait to try it again using good cheeses. BTW thank you for your recipe on the dough!

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Shelby,[p]Think the size of a large, male hand with the fingers fully extended.[p]Puj