Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have one of these? Can I use it for Paella?

Options
mojopin
mojopin Posts: 200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I haven't been around much at all. :( I've been trying to keep up, but it's my crazy busy time at work here.

I was searching for a paella pan and this was on the list at Amazon: Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Everyday Pan with Lid
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006FX83/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Anyone every tried this one, I don't think I can pass up the amazing deal, even if I can't use it for paella. I know I won't need the lid for the paella, but it may come in handy for other things.

I've been taking pics of most of my cooks and I finally put together my BGE table and stained it. I'll post pics soon of that as well.

Hope everyone is good in BGE land!

-Jill

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    not much surface area. paella pans are generally wider, flatter. you don't want a big thick bunch pf rice, or it won't behave the way you need it to. and generally the paella pans are very thin, so that they respond quickly (almost instantl) to temp changes. you want to be able to bump temps quickly at the end to form the soccorat, and then when you take it off the heat, it should lose that boost of heat quick, so the rice doesn't burn.

might be worth a shot at the price, but you might find it doesn't quite replicate a good old paella pan.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I have one of those and did use it for paella. I got this after.

Picture004.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I do believe you meant socarrat. -RP
  • stike
    Options
    yep.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You could use it and probably with some success. It probably retains heat more than you would want, so a paella pan would be a better choice. But if you are going to use it for other stuff, too, you could probably get by using it for paella if you don't want to go buying a pan for everything you do. Good luck!

P.S. I just noticed the price. If you like Calphalon, I'd buy that puppy and see how it does. All you have to lose is some rice!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Don't get him started.
  • stike
    Options
    stick around. you might learn sumthin.
    ;)
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    I have used one on the stovetop w excellent results. You won't be disappointed.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    NO COMMENT!!!!!!!

You are somthin else?
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    tienda.com is having a 10% off sale - I'd recommend you buy Paella pan and rice, etc from there if you really want to get into the paella thing.

use promo code SP0508 through June 15
  • mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm so glad that no matter how much time has passed it still feels like I never left. Eggheads are family!

At that price I bought two! Just in case I really like it.

-Jill