Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket going on Friday!

jamiemeyer
jamiemeyer Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The missus picked up a 12 pound packer tonight. We have been hard pressed to find good briskets at the store these days... I think the restaurants are getting all of 'em.
I applied a generous coating of mustard (yellow and dijon mix), and then proceeded to make my own special dry rub. All were applied tonight, and then I slid the saran-covered package into the 'fridge for safe keeping until tomorrow night, when I will start the cook.
I applied a homemade dry rub to the meat side tonight, leaving the fat side as-is, which will be the "down side" for the cook.
So, this begs a question...
With the salt in my dry rub, should I expect dehydration of the brisket to occur before I put it on? I would expect that this is a "yes". I want the infusion of the rest of the rub, but expect that the salt to dehydrate to some degree.
In anticipation of this, I expect to inject the brisket before I put it in the egg, which, over time, should offset the effects of the salt.
Does anyone have any eggsperience here? Is my "type A" showing too much? ;-)
pics to follow tomorrow as I progress....
Thanks!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Well the fact you rubs them up tonight for a cook tomorrow shows your Type A.

I must be a type A- cause I won't rub them up till about 4 hours before the cook. Any rate how much salt did you put in that rub anyway?

You will get some surface dehydration but that will help form the bark.

what do you plan on injecting them with?
  • jamiemeyer
    At a minimum, I will inject with beef broth. I have had great results with the foil-cooler rest method adding 6-8 broth at that point.
    With this process, I may be more creative. ;-)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I wouldn't have added rub (salt based) that early unless a sugar bath that I use was used as well. To late for that.
    As far as larger briskets, the meat market has been ever changing. It is going to get smaller packers and flats, simply because of economics. The optimal point of money on return, yields less size.
    If this is your first, I would strongly recommend foiling at 165 with beef broth (maybe a sliced onion as well), until 195.

Mike
  • jamiemeyer
    Mike,
    Not my first... I am an eggspert now with three under my belt! I will keep your suggestion in mind - if nothing else, the wresting phase is critical to a good brisket! Thanks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you couldn't have enough salt to dehydrate the meat. takes a good long while and a LOT of salt to dry a simple bit of cod. that 12 pound brisket is fine.

sugar is as likely to draw out water as salt, if not more so, and no one ever worries about that.

yer fine.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Car Wash Mike
    Glad you are an eggspert.

Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Be nice!! :angry:

Don't make me come out there and make you stare at a picture of chubby for 24 hours!!! :S :( :sick: :unsure: :pinch:
  • jamiemeyer
    Celtic Wolf wrote:
    Be nice!! :angry:

Don't make me come out there and make you stare at a picture of chubby for 24 hours!!! :S :( :sick: :unsure: :pinch:
    yikes!
  • Car Wash Mike
    I have nightmares of him in Hotlanta the last 2 years. Please, "NO MAS" :woohoo:

Mike
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Four hours!!!!!!!!!!!

That is eternity. I trim and rub the brisket while the fire is stabalizing......and throw the beast on. :evil:
  • Celtic Wolf
    I usually only do briskets for the competitions.. I get them rubbed up and out of the way so I can move on to other thangs like drinkin' and socializin'

PS.. I am still looking for it. I could have sworn it was in my truck. Still think it's there, but I the extended cab was and still is loaded up. It will be emptied this week-end.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Did you get your table built?
  • jamiemeyer
    Susan Egglaine wrote:
    Did you get your table built?
    Nah... it is still in the design phase. That just means that I have been too busy to get the project started.
    When I get the egg fired up this evening, and get the brisket on, I will go back to working on the design. I need to scale it back to something that can be completed in a reasonable amount of time. ;-)