Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For you brat experts

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of cooking some brats on the Mini on the 4th. Any good tips would be great, because I don't want to burn them before cooking the insides. And would it be better to use the Large instead?

Comments

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    DavidR,[p]After 47 years of practice, only one correct way to cook brats.......[p]SIMMER in beer, butter and onion for around 30 minutes. You can do this right on your grill.[p]Grill over high heat.[p]Place back in beer mixture until ready to eat.[p]This is the OFFICIAL way to making brats, from the shadows of The Frozen Tundra, Lambeau Field.[p]

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Stogie,[p]After years of simply steaming the brats in plain beer, I decided Friday to add onions and butter. Might just be me, but I couldn't taste any real difference. Now, mind you, I was using yellow onions. I think since I like my brats covered in chopped purple onions I might just steam them with the purples next time and see if that makes any difference...[p]DavidR: don't forget to prick the brats a couple of times to keep the casings from splitting! Good eats await you.[p]Kelly
    Jefferson City, MO

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Kelly Keefe, hate to disagree but when I cook on the BGE i do NOT prick the brats. This allow sthe juices to stay inside and cook. I have never had problems with splittingthem on the BGE. Now as for the original question as to which egg to use. I can cook about 6 brats on the mini. If you're cooking more than that, use your large.

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    DavidR,
    I have cooked lost of brats. Since they are fatty I do them low and slow over smoke and they have always turned out GRRR....ATE.

• Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    The key to the onions is carmelizing them first...then throw in beer and brats...you'll get better flavor![p]