Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Global warming my A$$

Options
2»

Comments

• AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    Let's look at the facts. The hottest year recorded was 1934 followed by 1998. Since 1998 we have been cooling and have had one of the coldest years in the past century.

Yes, oceans have risen. Yes, it has warmed. Historically it has done this every single century since the last ice age that we are still warming up from. For a person to say we are making it worse is failing to realize it is what it has always historically been. The only exception is the heat island affect since it has definitely warmed our cities and reducing carbon or methane will do nothing to stop that.

Let's look at several reasons why cooling has taken place. The PDO has turned and is going to cool things even more which you might have seen in the news. The sun cycle number 24 has failed to start and there are highly respected scientists questioning whether or not we are entering a period like the Maunder Minimum.

Neither the PDO shift or the sun cycle not starting was predicted by any climate model or scientist it just happened. Nor do scientists understand how clouds affect the climate but we all know cloudy days aren't as warm as sunny days. Global warming advocates are not about the science nor have they ever been because otherwise, there would be much more talk about cooling which will kill many more people than warming which only increases wildlife, vegetation, crops, and our quality of living.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Bill,

OMH!!!

LMAFROF.

In reality this isn't very funny at all.

Thanks, Kent
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I agree! The earth's climate has been changing since the day 1 so why is this any different!? As for Algore, he's full of it...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    JoJo,

I agree with much of what you said.

People inside the US and World Wide are being taught to believer the US Is a horrible selfish people and we have to give and sacrifice more.

The fact is the US people are the most generous, giving people in the world. Some of our giving is done by folks good nature and other giving is forced by congress.

Keep in mind each penny that is given is out of each of our pockets. Government does not concern or ability to generate money. It only funels the money out of our pockets to whoever is crying the loudest or whoever is able to give the biggest kickbacks.
    Elected officials don't spend millions of personal dollars just to obtain a hundred or two hundred thousand dollar a year job.

I feel the answer to your question and probably the most reasonable answer to this whole thing was stated by Flashback Bob in his above post.

In the end, it really doesn't matter what you or I believe anyway.

The people with the money are going to make the decisions and it has nothing to do with us, it's about profit.

That's probably the next step in evolution, survival of the richest.

GG
  • Unknown
    Options
    When I was in grade school (late 60's-early 70's) the teachers all told us we would freeze to death in 30 years: all the polution would block the sun, lowering the earths temp and creating an ice-age. We had to take all kinds of articles home to our parents encouraging them to not kill the planet in a ball of ice. It must have been true...all the scientists said so....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Global warming advocates are not about the science nor have they ever been because otherwise, there would be much more talk about cooling which will kill many more people than warming which only increases wildlife, vegetation, crops, and our quality of living.

It's not quite that simple. As was noted earlier, Global Warming is really more about cooling. It's warming the poles and that throws everything into a tizzy.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    "warming" doesn't mean you'll necessarily be warm.

alas.

if they called it "f*cked up weather patterns" people would start believing in it more.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    holy crap. i agree with the CW. time to lay in my warm bathtub and open a vein.
  • stike
    Options
    the thing i find funny is that people will say "the warming and cooling cycles are natural". ok. given. now, where did you get this info? since you weren't here, you must be trusting the scientists who tell you. somehow i don't see you taking ice core samples yourself, so this must be you trusting science. question then becomes, how do you pick and choose which science? it's a rhetorical question. i don't need an answer. i just find it interesting is all.

if you accept the evidence for cyclic behavior, how do you then discount that same evidence telling you that it is vastly accelerated, likely by man? and how does the knowledge that your car puts close to a few TONS of stuff in the air annually get glossed over, especially when everyone else is driving a car that does the same thing?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If looked at objectively, interesting point.

I guess the best answer is to see who is profiting off of the 'hot/cold change'. Then decide which camp you should be in.

GG
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Could use a little of that down here. Also if anybody has some extra rain send it down to help put these damn fires out.

Pat
    Melbourne, Fla
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Last time I checked warmer was when I wasn't as cold as I was before.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I thought I read were those fires intentionally started? Do they know if that is correct?

GG
  • stike
    Options
    global warming doesn't equal YOU warming.

if the average temp of the system goes up 3 degrees, that would be a pretty big anomaly. you'd never notice it, you aren't walking around in shorts in the arctic, and ocean water isn't 95 degrees.

but that three to five degrees would be enough to screw things up short and longterm, and start weather patterns that we are unaccustomed to.

my point is that most of the folks who "don't believe in global warming" can't define what "global warming" is. they think it means they'll be wearing tee shirts and shorts in december.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    AGW is little more than a scheme to separate suckers (read: taxpayers) from their dollars. Think Al Gore is chin-deep in "green" investments out of the good of his heart (while managing to consume three times the electricity as I do on a per-sf basis)?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I understood what your point was.

It is pretty simple and common for people on both sides of the issue to cherry pick their data/proof of cooling or warming.

From the late 1990's to about the early '20 world was in a simular warming as we are supposed to be in now. (Global Warming was the talk)

in the early 40's to mid 60's (world industrialzation) the earth cooled. (Global Cooling was the talk)

If one looks at the picture from 1988 up to 2005 (I think it is) the earth cooled in that period.

Now Warming.

We have our our uneducated oppinions. The best educated scientests can't come to agreement over Global Warming or Global Cooling. Therefore, I go back to the point of who is profiting off of this short term and long term and there is the answer.

Where is all this new revenue stream coming from, all of us little people. No matter what is really going on we are the ones footing the bill. And this bill is going to be huge and cost us in many ways.

If we can create fear we can make money and lots of it.

GG
  • Unknown
    Options
    If you are not a part of the solution there is a lot of money to be made in continuing the problem.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Coming to a correct solution requires know the problem. IF there is a problem then the next objective would be to get everyone to join in on the solution. That my friend will never happen.

Once again the world will wait for the US (us citizens) to foot the costs and bear the burden.

Nevertheless, the you are 100% correct. The next 'revolution' will be the Global Warming Revolution and if one can make the right connections there will be a lot of money to make.

GG
  • ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    I am all for global warming. I just need to find a way to get people to pay me to combust natural carbon offsets in my specially designed cermaic treatment unit. I will, of course, rid them of some of those pesky, methane-producing, cows.
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    that's an interesting approach which can be used towards
    everything, i guess.
    Moon landing, species lasting an ave of 10,000 years, previous ice ages, Babe Ruth hitting all those homers(not to mention calling his shot),OJ murdering Nicole, and the NY JETS winning SB III.
    None of us witnessed these events, but some buy into these events, and some dont. But ur right we obviously dont know for sure. If there were ice ages before, and since we were not there, its possbile, i guess, they werent caused by nature, but maybe a prior advanced civilization that built nukes and destroyed themselves with a nuclear winter?
    I obviously can not say ice core samples are facts, or know for a they werent fabricated for "Modern Marvels", but at least it's some kind of educated evidence other then simply stating "thats just the way it is"
  • Pyro
    Pyro Posts: 101
    Options
    GG is right (once again). A very simplistic, but very accurate way to understand the idea of antropogenhic global warming is to consider who benefits and who pays the price.

At the moment, the focus seems to be on the USA. Reality tells us that the USA, while still influential, will not be a dertermining or even an important factor in reducing carbon emissions. China and India are adding tens of millions of automobiles every year. The same two nations are putting more than one coal fired electric plant on line every week. There is nothing that the USA can do to in any way decrease the amount of CO2 being released to the atmosphere other than voluntarily going back to the stone age.

Additionally, the nations of Africa want to come into the 21st century. Africa, like the US, has abundant coal reserves. These will be used to help Africans. Yes, they want things like well-built homes, air conditioning, electric washers and dryers, etc. All of these require electricity and electrical generation requires fuel - in the case of Africa that fuel is coal. We must accept the fact that the amount of CO2 will increase.

This increase may boost global warming or may usher in a period of wealth and development that was seen in the Medieval warming period. We simply do not know and anyone who claims he/she does is a charlatin.

Just my thoughts, but do keep in mind that a USA centric position is not longer connected to reality.

Wayne
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wayne you have good points to which I both agree and disagree.

If you are in a big house with, say, seven other people. You each have your own room. The house catches on fire. Are you going to not fight the fire because it's in somebody else's part of the house?

I think conservation is something we have to do regardless of what anyone else does.

You are right about the emerging nations, but the way I see it is we need to lead the way in new energy development (but we won't. the petroleum companies will see to that). We used to lead by example, now if we lead, we lead with excuses.

Fossil fuels are dinosaurs. They fuel technology that's 100 years old. Look how far computers, medical science, and communications have come in the past 20 years compared to transportation. The country(s) that gets their arms around a new, sustainable energy source will be the one that plays the tune everyone else has to dance to.

The US has only been around for 200 years, that's a flash in the pan in historical terms. We better stop whining and stand up and do something or we'll become the new third world while they pass us by.

Our rich politicians will be ok though, no matter what happens to our country.