Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

removing the bottom membrane from baby back ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to remove this membrane? Is it easier if the ribs are completely thawed. The two times I've had real trouble was when the ribs were only partially thawed. Is it really even necessary to remove this membrane?

Comments

• Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Options
    Sean,[p]Try using a paper towel, the grip is much better than with bare hands.[p]Beers,[p]Dec[p]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Sean, it's like anything else - a little practice and it will come naturally to you. I have luck with the edge of a knife and then when you get a good hold it comes off easily - and yes they should be thawed. Some say you don't need to remove it as it cooks off, but to me nature put that membrane there to keep "something" from escaping into the meat so why not remove it so the rub can penetrate? I just peeled a rack of baby backs myself for tomorrow and am using the delicious Dr Chicken's Road Kill Whammo rub. Gooooood stuff!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sean,
    YES, It is worth the trouble to take it off. If your not sure if it makes a difference or not,try cooking 1 off and 1 on and then you'll see the difference. Use a paper towel and just practice taking it off. Be long you'll be ripping the membrane off in about 5 seconds. IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.. GOOD COOKING TO YA

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Sean,
    Do spare rids have this membrane as well? I'm getting ready to do a bunch on the 4th and need to know if it is there to remove. I have had only very limited experience with ribs - primarily on the eating end!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Sean,
    Some remove the membrane; some don't. I'm a remover, from the belief that the rub permeates the meat better. I loosen one end and grab it with fish skinners. One pull and you're done.

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Steve-O,[p]
    yeah they do. good luck with the holiday cook.

• Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Options
    Sean,
    I take a regular metal teaspoon - and use it a wedge - running it down one of the ribs in the middle of the rack (that way you don't tear the membrane. Then definitely use the paper towel to grab it and it comes off just like skinning a snake.[p]Happy cooking
    Cap'n

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice.