Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to egghead forum

doublesuited
doublesuited Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

Looks like I am finally going to buy a big green egg within the next week or so. Have loved the grills after having friends who had them and now I am finally moving to a place which will allow me to have a charcoal grill.

Is there anything I should know about the grills that a newbie might not know to ask?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    go HERE it will help you out alot....

congrats on the new "lifestyle" and congrats on buying your "First" egg :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Welcome Mark. I am a newbie too, having been around the forum and my new egg just a month or so. You will find these folks very helpful. Also, you can search most any egg related subject for past posts.

One thing you will soon learn is that heat control is all about airflow.

best Regards,

Ron
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Just recommend you find a dealer you like and trust because it will probably be a long relationship. Have you given any though to size or read all the related posts? Welcome and look for a eggfest in your area.

Pat
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    That's great that you will be able to buy an Egg.
    Here's my opinion on what you need in addition to the egg:
    a plate setter
    good grill gloves
    an instant read thermometer

Start with this, and if you hang out here long enough you'll decide that some other items are a 'must' for you.

Best advice I can give is to let the lump burn for a good 20 minutes before adding food or it will taste bad. You want a clean burning fire without too much smoke.
    When I started, I lit the lump, saw the billows of smoke and tossed the food on, not knowing that the early smoke is bad stuff.

Start here, and then come back to the forum when you want to actually 'smoke' something for the answer to "What's the difference between good and bad smoke?"
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Welcome aboard, you will also need a grid lifter, an ash tool, and the grid extender. -RP
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Welcome, feel free to ask as you go.
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    oooh yeah you're right. and don't forget some drip pans, a FoodSaver, EggMates, and a cast iron Dutch Oven :evil:
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Mark...welcome to the world of great grilling. Whatever size egg you get will come with a porcelan coated grid. IMHO if you can swing it get a Cast Iron grid also. They are great for high temp cooks like steaks. Makes a big difference.
    Bob
    Alex City,Al
    ;)

Opelika, Alabama
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Also find a good butcher. He'll be your second best friend next to your egg dealer & save all the best cuts for you. ;);)

Pat
  • racerx414
    racerx414 Posts: 6
    hi gang

newbie here

just wanted to say hi

racerx
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Mark,
    Welcome to the group. I would suggest getting a lot of moist wipes, and paper towels, I use those 50-in-a-pack of shop towels also. You'll be wiping your hands, a lot. Hope you're not afraid to get your hands a bit dirty..... cause cooking with charcoal is not exactly a clean sport. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. Good luck with your new egg.
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Welcome! By now you're probably drinking from the proverbial fire hose of information that is either on here or referred to in this forum. As someone who is also in his rookie year, I highly recommend this:

http://nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm

Reading through the FAQ's at this site is arguably the best way to prepare yourself for understanding and using the Egg. I found it after a couple months of trial and error and wish I had just sat down and read through this from the beginning.

Good luck, and welcome.
  • racerx414
    racerx414 Posts: 6
    i am having trouble getting my egg to over 525 temp is there a special way to place the coles or amount hmm

i have the bottom and top wide open and max temp is 525

help

x
  • trex1210
    trex1210 Posts: 33
    Welcome........I am a newbie myself!! My suggestion is to read, ask, read, ask, and read some more. The folks here are very helpful, and don't be bashful!!

RacerX.....
    How much lump do you have in your egg? Make sure the holes in your fire box are clear so it can breath.

Trey
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Welcome aboard. You're in the right place.

Mike
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    my small also sometimes has trouble getting up to nuclear temps. I find i can achieve nuclear if i have a clean load of lump in. If i want to sear steaks i usually clean out the fire box and put in new lump that has some larger pieces and not the smaller left over scraps that i usually use in the small. I will leave the top open for about 20-30 minutes until all the coals are glowing red then put in the grate and close the lid with the vent wide open top and bottom. this usually will get me off the thermometer. hope this helps.
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Get one of those "personal" or camp fans and place it down by the lower vent for a few.....that usually works for me, if I am having problems. :)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    make sure the opening in the bottom of the firebox is lined up with the bottom vent. Make sure the holes in the fire grate are not clogged up. You will need a wiggle stick or some other pointed object to ensure the hole aren't clogged.

Remove the Metal lid.

Fill the firebox up to the level of the fire ring.

Keep in mind much above 525 you risk toasting your gasket.