Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping the smoke going for a long time?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]Just curious if anyone has found a way to keep the smoke going without lifting the grill and adding more chips/chunks.[p]I noticed that on my medium, after smoking a LOT for about 15-20 minutes, the smoke really thins out. After an hour, there is no smoke left at all. I tried adding more chips/chunks soaked in water up to a pretty huge amount, but it does not seems to allow any extra time (It simply smokes more early on).[p]This is especially true with lower temperature smoking like at 225. While I am getting the egg up to 225, I need to open the vents up a little more and theres tons of smoke. Once i hit 225, I have to close down the vents a lot to keep the stable temp. At this point the smoke really starts to thin out, and stops.[p]Is there a way to keep it going even at low temps: EX trying to cook beef jerky even? Does wrapping the chunks/chips in foil do anything? [p][p]

Comments

• Jamesw,
    I am from the old school and I do not add the onions and wood until I get the temperature at the desired level. I usually do not have the grate on either, maybe I am not doing it correctly.[p]Regards,[p]Charlie

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Jamesw,[p]For a long smoke application, mix unsoaked wood chunks into the lump charcoal. The wood will add smoke as the fire reaches it during the cook. This smoke addition will not be visible, but will be quite noticable in the finished meal.[p]Meat tends to best absord smoke flavor up to the point when the surface temp reaches 140°F. On your lower temp cook, it is best to not open the vents to force the cooking temperature to quickly rise, rather allowing time for the smoke to develop and be absorbed by the meal. Once the heavy smoke has subsided, then crack the vents open to reach cooking temperature. I like to add well soaked, well drained chips once the temp reaches 180°F and then add the ceramic cap on top and open the bottom vent wide. The fire will not die and lots of smoke will be produced for 30-45 minutes.[p]Spin
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Spin,
    I am guessing that the meat is on the grill when you put the cap on the top?

• Spin,[p]I also heard that the "Initial" smoke is not the best smoke, is there any truth in this? I have heard to wait for the "cloud of white billowing" type smoke to stop before putting the food in, and waiting for the "Blue/light" smoke.[p]That's the only reason I dont wait until the grill is fully heated, and then throw the food on right away.
  • Spin
    Steve-O,[p]Yes, the meat is in the Egg. My apolgies.[p]Spin
  • Spin
    Jamesw,[p]I have only seen the billowing white/blue smoke when lighting used lump where drippings and any left over smoking wood is burned while heating. I would wait in this case.[p]The only other time I have seen white smoke is when fresh lump is damp.[p]Spin[p]Spin
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Jamesw:[p]That may be true for an offset burning wood . . . drbbq or Jim Minion will have to clarify . . .
    [/b]
  • Jamesw,
    For a long smoke use a larger chunk of wood, not seeing the smoke means you have the correct burn going. The smoke should be transparent but it is still flavoring the meat. If you you use chips they will burn up quicker and need to be replaced with fresh.
    jim

• Jamesw,[p]I have to agree that the thin blue smoke is far more palatable than that white billowy stuff.[p]Here's an eggsperiment you can try to help you visualize the amount of smoke going on when you cant see it.[p]During your next cook, after the billowy stuff has gone away, and your left with the barely visible thin smoke, wash and rinse your hands real good. Hold one hand several inches above the top vent of the egg for only about 10 - 20 seconds. Now, when no one is looking, give that hand a good whiff. Your going to smell pure BBQ essence.[p]Trust me, this method is far better than just sticking your nose in the top vent. ;)[p]Again, even though you can't see it, if you are burning wood, you will get smoke.[p]bc[p]
  • Jim Minion,
    I don't remember who it was, but someone posted a picture of their grid and where they hac cut out the last few pieces of it near the edge so they could open the top, toss chunks down into the coals, and shut it again real quick. I bet it will be up in a few minutes! That' how it works around here!
    Seth

• bc,[p]Hmm, this is really interesting. I haven't really thought that just because I can't see it does not mean it is not there adding flavor anyway. I'll have to check this out.
    I always thought smoke is always visible.[p]James