Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Orange Roughy

Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not the first time, but with enough repetition after the 3rd cook, must mention that this is a great fish cook that's fast, simple, and will keep your significant other and your doctor happy:
Orange Roughy Filets (usually found at Sam's, Walmart, Costco, in a bulk freezer bag----and DOES NOT SMELL FISHY!)
Let 'em swim in a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice and some garlic, and a good dusting of Tony Chachere's Original Seasoning (or equivalent Cajun spice mixture(?)) and then re-dust before putting them on your fish grid (pre-sprayed with PAM or oiled up some other way) direct at about 350-400. Done tonight with a few nice sticks of well-soaked apple wood. Yummers! About 10 minutes per side.
Adding to the smoke of the Southwest from every direction (and God bless the victims most directly affected!),
Big Murth[p]

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Big Murth,
    I've tried orange roughy a couple of times and haven't really cared much for it. It seems to have a somewhat rubbery texture, sort of like stiff tofu or something. I like fish to be a little drier and flaky, like salmon comes out. Also, O.R. is very expensive, at least when bought from the specialty counter at Harris Teeter. How much did you pay for what you got from a place like Sam's? Cod is cheap and good when smoked. We tried tilapia and that seem to be good. Trout was also very good. Where can we get haddock? Do you think a fish market 150 miles from the ocean in NC would have haddock? My English wife (the one who dropped 2 cell phones in the toilet in 8 days) would like some. Ramble.......sorry.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Big Murth
    The Naked Whiz,
    I'm pretty sure that my wife bought a bag (5#), for about $17.00---I found it to be a firm fish, but definitely not rubbery....I did mine about 7-9 minutes per side @ about 325-350 as I recall (?).
    Doing a big load of GFW's wings Sunday, with a "Wing Time" style sauce with oregano and garlic added.
    Big Murth

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Big Murth,
    Whoa!! I paid 11 bucks per pound from the Harris Teeter. Maybe the "good" stuff is rubbery. I'll check out Sam's next time. I cooked mine at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. The flavor was great, but the texture left me cold. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Big Murth,[p]Orange Roughy may be listed as an overfished species.[p]www.mbayaq.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_factsheet.asp?fid=54 [p]

• Big Murth
    The Naked Whiz,
    My wife is clarifying everything--- The most recent bag we bought had 10-12 filets in it...for about $14.00. Combine that value, with good seasonings, the Egg, and less than 10 minutes per side....and you'll forget about the rape over at Harris Teeter. We have a few places like that out here, too.
    Cheers, Beers, and less tears,[p]Big Murth

• Big Murth
    Patrick in GA,
    Haven't hit that link you sent me yet, but I'm wondering if this fish is going the way of Chilean Sea Bass. This question from a guy who grew up Catholic+....and who for a long time hated everything about fish, thanks to Fridays and a couple of true-believer parents.
    Big Murth