Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

making LOX

Chef Arnoldi
Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i made the Lox last night & the results are FANTASTIC.
The basic method is layed out as follows:[p]• There are six main steps in making lox:
1. Filleting the salmon, cutting into serving size pieces and scoring the skin
2. Dry salting (12 hours)
3. Brining (12 hours)
4. Freshening (1-2 hours) Critical step!!!
5. "Painting" with a rum and brown sugar mix.
6. Smoking using the BGE(1 hour or less)[p]Fillet the salmon, but leave the skin side intact.
• Prepare a dry cure 3 parts kosher salt to 4 parts brown sugar.
• Sprinkle a layer of the salt-sugar mix on the bottom of a glass/plastic/stainless steel/porcelain tray(never aluminum).
• Layer the filleted pieces, cover with the salt-sugar mix, put another layer on top.
• Let the tray sit for 12 hours. Lots of syrupy liquid will appear.
• Prepare a brine solution kosher salt to a gallon of water (add salt til no more will dissolve when heated).
• Remove the pieces and with cold running water briskly rinse off any salt-sugar mix that remains.
• Add the pieces to the brine solution and let sit for 12 hours.
• Empty the brine & Slowly run cold water through the fish approx 1 hour & taste for saltiness.
• Remove the pieces, place them skin side down, on a large towel on a table.
• Prepare a syrup of brown sugar and dark rum-pretty thick.
• Brush the syrup onto each piece & allow to dry in the fridge.
• Lightly COLD smoke for about 30-60 minutes with alder, cherry or apple (Do not let the fish temperature rise above 90°)
(using a dryer aluminum vent hose from the top of the BGE with the other end of the hose placed under an aluminum foil tent that i made.
Inside the tent sits a tray with a rack on which i place the fish. The opposite end of the tent i leave open for the smoke to escape.
photos will follow)
• Remove the pieces from the smoker, pack and freeze.
• Before serving or packing remove the pin bones from each piece with a needle-nose pliers.

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]Wow. Am I impressed. I might even try this. One question...why freeze at the end?[p]mShark
  • Chef Arnoldi, how does the LOX that Costco sells for $8.45/lb compare with yours?

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    these notes were taken from another site, but personally i don't intend to freeze it as i am having friends over for brunch on sunday. As regards to quality of taste compared to Costco lox, it tastes basically the same & i have had several co-workers taste it & all agreed that it was fantasic in taste
    ( some preffered a little less salty, but that can be fixed by refreshing(soaking in runing cold water after brining) a little longer. I will be making another batch this sunday & take photos for posting. I also plan to make Gravalox (non-smoked salmon, but cured with dill)