Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Rib Attempt

Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this sounds crazy, but I haven't tossed a slab onto the EGG yet. Yep, I love ribs, too, but I just hadn't gotten 'roun' to it. I guess.[p]ANYWAY.... I've picked up a few slabs of baby back and wondered if any of you shy, unopinionated folks had any suggestions as to how to prepare 'em. I've got three slabs.[p]thanks :-D[p]Bama Fire[p]PS. Vandy is terrible.

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Bama Fire,[p]Just 2 words - mustard and rub. Check out Tim M's web site for several rib techniques with full instructions. he's done a real nice job.[p]K~G

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Bama Fire,
    I love ribs - it was the only reason I bought my Egg - then I found all the other things it does. Take a look at the website link below. I have loads of different ways to do ribs. [p]If you don't have a rib rack you can roll them into a circle or lean them against a V rack. If you have a rib rack I suggest 225-250 dome for 3 - 3.5 hr and rotate every 45 min. I add sauce for the last hour.[p]
    Tim

[ul][li]Tim's BGE cookbook[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    hmrcook.gif
    <p />KennyG,
    Thank you[p][p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Bama Fire,
    Don't forget to remove the membrane.
    YB

• Bama Fire
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I'm away from the screen for 10 minutes and have 3 responses. What a great support group![p]bama fire

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire,
    How about marinating the ribs? Say mustard + jj's rub? I love boston butts EGGed that way. Thoughts?[p]B~F

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Bama Fire,
    Three slabs cut in half will just fit on the large Egg and will serve 6 people easily, maybe more depending on appetites. A slightly quicker way is to put some rub on them, set the Egg up at 300F and put the ribs on. Turn them every 30 minutes for the first hour. If you want to sauce them, start at 1 1/4 hours into the cook. Baste and turn them every 5 minutes. They will be done at 1 3/4 hours at the latest.
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Bama Fire,
    Lots of opinions! Guess you'll have to pick and choose. Mustard and a rub is always good, but I am hooked on Cat's Babyback recipe. Check it out in the main recipe section under pork. Her method of 250 dome in a rib rack works great too. Even with no rack, that recipe is KILLER!![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bama Fire
    JimW,
    Quick ribs? Wow -- might have to give it a shot tonight! YUM![p]B~F

• Nature Boy,
    I agree with NB, Cats are fantastic.

• Bama Fire, I always rub my ribs with southern seasonings (creole) and let them sit for a few hours in the fridge. Then sprinkel them with balsamic vinager and let the sit overnight. They are always great,, but I haven't tried Cat's yet. It takes a lot of guts to be versatile, but I'm going to try them. Also Nature Boy's Ginger/Mahogeny recipe must be killer,,,, he's cooking them at EggFest.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    King-O-Coals,[p]Was I right about brining?[p]Try those ribs. Don't argue. ;-}[p]Cathy
  • Cat, yes-um! Sorry. Now I know how little birds feel when they stand on the edge of the nest, afraid to take the leap, even after flapping their wings hard enough to hover over the nest for hours. But my ribs are so good,,,,, I don't know if I could stand them if they were any better.. But I'm going for it! This weekend! I'm doing them using your recipe,, Nature Boy's,, and my own. I have some distinguished guests coming (they are still raving about the McFish Sandwich invention),, so I'll post the results afterwards.

• Bama Fire,
    Hello from T Town.We do cook on Eggs down here.
    Dreamland wish they could cook a slab of ribs like the ones you can cook on your EGG. I did 36 slabs of baby backs last
    saturday on EGGS. Took about 61/2 hours to cook about 45 MIN
    to consume.Jay Barker ate about 2 slabs himself.
    Everyone has different taste for ribs,you being from BAMA probably like the hickory smoke flavor.
    I pull the membrane on mine,then rub down with good extra virgin olive oil then coat with my own rub recipe.let stand in fridge over night.If you don,t have a rub you have tried
    or like,try TONY CACHERS CAJUN(green container)@winndixie or
    delchamps mixed with some lemonpepper.
    I cook mine in a vertical rack raised about 5-6" above the main grill @ 225-250 for 31/2 to 4 HRS.
    Soak some hickory chunks the night before and put about 3 OR 4 directly on lump prior to putting on the slabs.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    SloppyPig,
    I like the idea of cooking 5-6 inches above the main grid when doing direct. I'll try that next. Thanks.[p]Happy Friday
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ