Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Place Setter (???)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I am not entirely clear re place setter and the topic of indirect etc. Would the place setter sit on top of the existing grill? This being the case would I cook the food on the place setter or (???) Not altogether clear and would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Comments

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Bully, the platesetter would be inverted the legs sticking up while the so calle top would be on the top pf the fire ring you place the cooking grid on top of the legs works great [p]
  • Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    Bully,[p]The plate setter is wide enough to sit on the fire ring without a grill under it. Most of the time the plate setter is inverted and a drip pan is placed on it between its legs. The grill then sits on the platesetter legs above the drip pan and the food goes on the grill. The idea is just to get some ceramic mass between the fire and the food, so you don't get direct heat applied. In it's upright position, the PS raises the cooking surface to just above the edge of the cookers lower shell. This makes it really convenient to slide pizza on and off the grill.[p]Hope this helps,
    --Kevin

• Unknown
    Options
    Ca_rnivore, thanks. Just one other question - do we not minimize the amount of smoke to the grill surface or am I looking at this incorrectly? Bully. [p]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Bully,
    The amount of smoke getting to the food is not affected by the plate setter. What is affected is the direct heat/fire getting to the food. With the ceramic between your food and the heat, the food cooks more or less like an oven but you have the ability to add smoke flavor. With the shape of the egg and the ability to hold both heat and smoke inside, your food will pick up plenty of smoke. Of course, if you want more smoke, depending on what you're cooking, lower the temp thus creating a longer cook time and exposing your food to that much more smoke.
    Hope that helps clear things up! If not, let us know...someone will explain better.

• Unknown
    Options
    Shelby, thanks you have clarified the matter for me. Bully