Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans

Options
Angie2B
Angie2B Posts: 543
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have made these twice. First time followed the recipe pretty much dead on using pulled pork I had smoke on the egg. Second time I used peach pie filling (Someone here recommended this I can't remember who, I am so sorry), cut down on the chipotle to just a pinch. I used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and John Henry Pecan Rub (I doubled the rub to 2 tsps.) I really, really liked the peach pie filling better. This is a really good recipe and got rave reviews at a cookout last night!!!

3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
1 can apple pie filling
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)
Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutesif you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Keri credits the peach pie filling to Jack's Old South, and I agree, using them makes for a great batch of beans too.

It's funny, but because I get so many requests for the recipe, I generally print copies and have them on hand.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    ditto all of that Angie..except I usually turn the heat up not down...have made these a bunch of times and making them again next weekend for my son's college grad party..they always get rave comments and rarely have any leftovers...oh..and thirdeye..you're stutterin :P
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    The recipe you posted calls for 2 16oz. cans of beans which you modified to 2 28oz. cans with reference to a "note below". I don't see the note. Could you clarify this please. Thank you!! 8 - )
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Here is the full forum post including the notes on the Bush's beans.

2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
    1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
    1 can apple pie filling
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 c. brown sugar

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.

*This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
    _____

Lately, I've been using two of the 28-oz cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans - I think I'm going to try it with the new Honey variety next. Happier with the results with these. -kc

Another update... Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand that they use peach pie filling instead.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Knb
    Knb Posts: 9
    Options
    These look like some good beans. I am helping a friend put together a 50th anniversary party. I am going for it!

• stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options

I found this on the Virtual Weber Smoky mountain forum years ago and tried it and fell in love with it.  The sweet spicy mix is intoxicating and I've given the recipe away numerous times too.  Never tried the peach; now I'm on a mission!

Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Those have been an "asked for by name" dish for years at a neighborhood fall picnic. They clean every last spoonful out of my Dutch oven! I alternate between apple one year and cherry the next.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Some good side grub if someone is looking for a bean recipe. Pot luck tomorrow at work. My second batch in the last 3 weeks.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    Angie2B said:
    Have made these twice. First time followed the recipe pretty much dead on using pulled pork I had smoke on the egg. Second time I used peach pie filling (Someone here recommended this I can't remember who, I am so sorry), cut down on the chipotle to just a pinch. I used Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and John Henry Pecan Rub (I doubled the rub to 2 tsps.) I really, really liked the peach pie filling better. This is a really good recipe and got rave reviews at a cookout last night!!!

1 can apple pie filling
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutesif you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.
    Which cooking method do you prefer? If you bake, do you cover, or leave open? Thanks! Looks delish... 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    No cover the first go around. I wanted to lightly smoke them for our Thanksgiving dinner. 

Tonight I covered. I even went less onion and cayenne in them. Bunch of wussy coworkers. Still good flavor. I just prefer smoke and spice in my cooks. 

I'm looking forward in trying other fruits in it. Peach has been great so far. I'd imagine apple and cherry would also pair in nicely. Maybe @RRP can chime in....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BobDanger
    Options
    Love this recipe...I've also done spatchcock chicken and pulled beef. I cover the first 30 then uncover the last. Done peach, cherry and apple...apple wins for me.

Also, I cut the recipe in half and use a 3qt CI pot for smaller batches, turns out just as good.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    I went from a being bum this morning to whipping these up in no time. Happened to have everything except the pie filling. I'll pick that up in a little while, then let them simmer for lunchtime. Have some chuck roast from this weekend that will go good with it.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I have made these twice in the last two weeks, followed the updated recipe exactly and both times they were awesome! Thanks for posting.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    I took all of the notes above and tried to get them into one easy to follow set of instructions... Did I miss anything? 

(Someone’s) Hog-Peach Baked Beans

2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans

1/2 c. Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce

1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less

1 can peach pie filling

1 medium onion, chopped

1/2 c. brown sugar

1/2-1 tsp chipotle powder (depending on spice preference)

2 tsp John Henry Pecan Rub Rub

Brown bacon, and sauté onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour in dutch oven. Uncover after 30 minutes.  Serves 12.

Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    That is exactly how I did mine and they were awesome.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    These beans are awesome. I was short on time, so they were simmered, not baked. I halved the recipe, except the cayenne pepper by accident. They are a little hot, but still excellent. Will make a great side dish in the future!
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I make a similar version except except I use pineapple chunks instead of pie filling, and some pure maple syrup to cut the heat from the chipotle powder and jalapeños that I add. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.