Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked boneless chicken breasts?

Options
JK
JK Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've only read of smoking whole chicken. What method would you use to "smoke" boneless breasts? I have 6 boneless breasts in yogurt.[p]Thanks,
j.k.

Comments

• Charlie44mag
    Options
    j.k.,[p]I have had real good luck with skin removed boneless brests coated with Wynn Dixie brand dry steak seasoning. I cut a medium onion in half and throw it on the charcoal along with a mesquite chunk. Only takes about 5 minutes per side.
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    j.k., I mix the folowing: 2 tablespoons dijon mustard & 1/2 cup italian dressing- mix well with fork & add salt & pepper to taste. marinate chicken breast 20min in fridge & then place on grill ( direct heat) turning after 10min til done - meat stays moist.

• Unknown
    Options
    j.k.,
    I use the Ranch Dressing mix from Costco and sub Yogurt for half the required mayo when I mix it up. Marinade from an hour to a day and then direct heat. If you want smoke flavor addd a chunk of wood or a foil pouch with dry chips and a few holes poked in it, this is where you want visible smoke IMO. I also do Hamburgers side by side with the Naked chicken and both have a nice smokiness.
    HTH,
    ~Teddy Bear

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    j.k.,
    The best b/s chicken breast recipe I do came from your esteemed forum member Kenny~G. You'll be fine w/ the yogurt marinade and the peanut sauce always draws compliments.
    Hey Kenny if you read this don't you share chilies w/ R & J?
    If so one of you please give me a holler. I have a new care package ready to send from my last south of the border expedition.
    DTM

[ul][li]Kenny~G's b/s chicken breasts[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    DTM,
    Check your Email.
    R&J

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    j.k.,
    Whatever spices/marinade/rub you choose, my suggestion for dependably delicious boneless, skinless chicken breasts is to first flatten them to an even thickness. I put the meat between two sheets of waxed paper (or transparent wrap) membrane-side up, and flatten them with a mallet using a slightly diagonal "hit." You want the thickness to be even so the breasts cook quickly and the meat stays juicy. Brining first helps, but isn't necessary. With a hot fire, the meat cooks perfectly with only about 3 minutes per side. [p]Last night I flattened three breast halves and cut these in half for a total of six pieces. I marinated them for only about 45 minutes in a combination of a little peanut oil, some soy sauce, mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine), grated fresh ginger, pressed garlic clove, and a little balsamic vinegar. The temp gauge on my Small read about 450. I oiled the grill and gave the meat approx. 3 min/side. The result was deliciously tender and juicy. I had some of Ken Stone's wonderful Crossroads sauce on the side for dipping. Fabulous.[p]Well, I see I've used up my daily quotient of superlatives![p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Gretl,
    I was in Winn Dixe the other day and the lady next to me ask the meat cutter to run 2 packages of boneless chicken breast thru the cubing machine,he did it I was surprised.
    Larry

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    j.k.,[p]I know I'm a day late, but this has been my most common cook lately, as I try to watch what I'm eating, so I wanted to get a reply in.[p]For boneless/skinless breasts, I rub them with my rib rub (though my next batch will use some Dizzy Dust), and let them sit for 30-60 minutes, while the fire is getting ready. I place them direct on a grill with a dome temp close to 320. Not 325, but 320...that's critical <grin>.[p]If you want to go official, I cook to an internal temp of 165. I like to cook the first side to an internal temp of around 125-130, and then flip them. When 165 is reach, they are done.[p]If you want to mop them (and I often do). Mop both sides during the flip, and the mop will bake on very nicely. The mop gives you a little over-cook fudge factor, to cook beyond 165.[p]I've found really plump breasts cook better than the skinnier/thinner ones. It could be those plump ones are pumped up by the grocer, but I don't care, they come out so juicy.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    DTM,[p]and another email is coming at ya.[p]K