Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Bean and Pesto Stuffed Tomatoee

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]Been a hundred years since I've posted, maybe a hundred and one, but who's counting, thought I'd throw my two pennies in the ring once again. Great to see so many new names on the board, and the old ones as well. Been watching regularly but nothing really that unique to post so I just sat back enjoyed the discussions. However, last weekend for fathers day the wife assembled an awesome veggie dish that I thought I'd share.[p]We have veggies starting to come out of the garden, tomatoes, beans, basil, all of the necessities of good summer eats. I got 4 good size Beefsteak tomatoes and a big handful of green beans. She cored the tomatoes, blanched the beans, and stood the beans up vertically in the tomatoes. Then she took some homemade pesto and poured a couple of tablespoons into the tomato. Then, we topped the whole thing off with some good fresh grated parmesan cheese and I egged them, direct on a veggie tray, for about 5 minutes at 300 or so until they were heated through.[p]I'm sure we'll work on some variations of this, different spices, different fillings etc. but this one was a real winner. Wish we'd have cooked more than 4 of them (the in-laws were over for dinner so we all got one), I could have made a meal of these. Veggies fresh out of the garden are just impossible to beat.[p]Well, good to be back, happy egging, and I hope to have more time to participate in the future.[p]Troy

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    sprinter, gosh you have been gone for quite a while! Welcome back and hopefully you will keep posting great ideas like this on a regular basis. I'll have to try this (if I can figure out how to make my own homemade pesto).

• sprinter
    Options
    Wise One,[p]To the best of my knowledge, which is very limited on the pesto, its olive oil, fresh basil, and pine nuts, all mixed in a food processor. I'm sure a search in any cooking site would give you what you need to make it. It really is simple and with fresh herbs out of the garden its awesome stuff. I would highly recommend trying it.[p]Good to be back and hopefully my work will allow me to post a bit more in the future.[p]Troy
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    sprinter,
    Don't forget the garlic and the parmesan cheese in the pesto! The tomato-green bean recipe sounds great.

• sprinter
    Options
    Gloria,[p]Yeah, like I said, its the wife who is usually in charge of the condiment type items. I just grow the stuff, she does her magic with it once its in the kitchen.[p]Speaking of garlic, last Sunday, fathers day in fact, I harvested about 200 heads of garlic. Some of them were smaller but most of them were about the size of small baseballs, one was 3 inches across. Its in the basement drying I type, should be ready in a couple of weeks. We had such a wet spring here in S. IL that EVERYTHING is growing wonderfully. Its starting to dry out a bit now but it sure made the spring flowers and veggies nice this year.[p]Troy