Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going Nuclear

Options
407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First time a tried to do steaks on the egg and I was unable to get the temp in the dome over 550 degrees. The egg was completely cleaned out prior and the charcoal was sifted and only pieces larger than a dime were put back in. I was mostly brand new Royal Oak lump that was dumped into the egg( :whistle:)

I lit the middle of the egg with a torch deep into the charcoal and with the torch in the egg the temp was 500 but as soon as I removed it the temp fell to 450. i was using the BBQ guru 10cfm fan and there was allot of airflow through the egg.

I wanted to bury the needle to get the steak really charred but I just gave up. Would arranging the lump really make that amount of difference? Should I dump using the

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Don't have a fancy fan, but when going nuclear on large or small I just get the charcoal going 3-4 spots with my MAPP and leave the top vent off and the bottom wide open. CAREFUL it usually needs to be burped 2-3 times.
  • Hustling Hare
    Hustling Hare Posts: 105
    Options
    The fan may actually be hindering the airflow enough to keep the temperature down. as Richard FL says, don't bother for really hot temps.

Think about it, a round lump of charcoal the size of a dime will nicely close a hole in the fire grate again hindering air flow. Use bigger pieces.

Finally, read the posts below about burping.

HH
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    With Royal Oak on my large, no fan, getting up to high temp is a matter of air flow from bottom vent to top vent.

I light in 3 possibly 4 places with lower vent open and no top vent. It is harder with smaller pieces of lump, but to get around that I use a wiggle stick through the fire grate from the bottom vent.

It doesn't matter what method I use to light the lump, it doesn't take that long to peg the thermometer. The meidum egg seems to be a little harder to peg the thermometer and the small seems to be a little easier.

If you want a high temp burn then get the largest surface area light as possible.

GG
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    On the medium, try using aluminum foil to fill the gap between the outer edge of the firebox and egg's inner wall. With my medium, I would roll out enough foil to run the circumference around then roll shortside into a rope and tuck into the gap. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • MS_STATE_Dawg
    Options
    at first glance I thought maybe Congress was voting to increase our Nuclear power usage.... woa, was I wrong. But then remembered that's Eggspeak for "steak temps".... which, BTW the Egg does them the best.

But, good luck with your battle. I happen to think it's that you're using such small pieces, just not enough air getting through there....
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thanks!!!

Great suggestion. That gap is one thing that really bothers me on the medium. The 'filler' will stop the small stuff falling down.

Kent
  • Judge
    Judge Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi, brand new here to but I will add my 2 cents. Maybe just maybe the type of charcoal your using. I have cowboy brand for hot and let me tell you it screams within 15 mins. more like 10 the egg hits 700 easy. Now saying that I have only cooked 2 things on it now into my third thing but one of them was the steaks. With that charcoal I mentioned. I used another for the slow cooking.

I really would start by looking at the lump you are using. If you are opening both vents. Again I am new here but!!! that is where the heat all comes from after all.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    The only time I have found it difficult to reach 650 or more is when it is raining and or very damp. I do make sure all of the holes in the egg are clear and the vents both top and botttom are wide open. I also do not worry about the lump placement I just dump it in and like and earlier post light it in three spots using a product called "strike it fire".
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I don't have a electronic temp control device (yet), but if I"m not mistaken, the guru is not designed to go that high. I was reading about it recently and I was left with the impression it was designed to maintain temps ranging from 180-to somewhere near 400.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I agree with you, but if you want to get nuclear temps in a hurry, hook up the blower to the bottom vent, turn on the Digi, set pit temp to 300, and don't put the probe in the egg.

The fan will run non-stop and you can watch the thermo needle climb ... trust me on this one. I do it all the time. I can go from match to 700+ in well under 10 minutes. Works especially well if you have anything blocking airflow - i.e. doing pizzas or blackened steaks.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    If I'm goin over 400...450 max..I dont even install the guru..just open up the vents..like in 3-5 places well..and let 'er rip!..I have never bother 'building' a fire by placing my lump..I keep the ash in the bottom cleaned out and small pieces I clean out about once a week..other than that I light either using paper towel and oil, mapp, or firestarters..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Actually 550 is plenty hot to give a steak a good sear. Burying the needle is not wise and usually results in replacement of the gasket.

However, if you insist. Make sure the opening in the firebox is lined up complete with the bottom vent. Also make sure the firebox is completely full and none of the holes in the fire grate are blocked. Keep the top completely off.

Keep the Guru fan off the egg. Bottom vent wide open. The Guru and the Stoker are designed for low and slow cooks.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    I find that it's harder to get the temp past 500 if there is "used" lump in the mix. I also would suggest a "wiggle rod". (mine is an old gasser rotisserie rod bent at one end.) Go up from the bottom, thru the grate holes to gently move the lump out of the way. The increased airflow really makes a difference. I use it on every cook, fresh lump or not. Can't have too much air.

WiggleRod1.jpg