Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What did I do wrong ??.............

Options
GenesGrill
GenesGrill Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked my first brisket yesterday, and I assumed from earlier posts taht it would take about 2 or 2 1/2 hours per pound to cook it an my medium egg. My dome temp was 275 degrees and it took over seven hours to cook it (using a BBQ guru)!!! Why so long????

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I am at a loss. I must be missing something.

A 7 hr cook isn't long for brisket unless the brisket is under 3.5#

How big was your brisket?

GG
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    first how did it turn out? what size was it? whole or flat?
    i have had brisket take 18 plus hours. it is done when it is done, can't rush perfection. every cut of meat is different and some take longer then others. i have had briskets sitting at the 165 degree plateau for 4-5 hours before it moves upward. i normally do my temps at about 235-255 grate temp with my guru. sometimes you just might have to eat a hotdog while waiting...........
    strange as it may sound i find it takes a little longer to do briskets in my large then in my med, go figure.
    Practice makes perfect and if it comes out a little tough then make hash..............
  • GenesGrill
    Options
    It weighed about 2 1/4 pounds..............
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    that rule of 2 hours per pound really only works for big briskets. the little ones still need time for the collagen etc to break down. ive seen little ones take well over ten hours. how did it come out, most will foil a small brisket half way into the cook to keeping it from drying out
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GenesGrill
    Options
    Actually, the brisket ate pretty good but was a little dry....should have used the foil like you said....I'll remember that next time (eheh).....
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Every piece of meat is going to cook differently. Sometimes you get meat that really lags the time and other times you get a turbo brisket. It's done when it's done! It's nothing that you did wrong, it's just the way it is. BTW, foiling would have decreased the cook time as well as kept it more moist. I think you did fine. Thanks for sharing(I still want to see some pics).
  • GenesGrill
    Options
    Big'un.....wish I had some pictures, but I reckon I'm the only one on the forum that doesn't have a digital camera. I'm buying my wife a nice Nikon coolpix P5100 for mother's day which I hope to start using later...
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    Gene - I'm thinking about buying my wife a Guru, a Thermapen and some more tools for Mother's day too. . .
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I usually go 1 1/2 per lb. I aslo like the lower temps, 235-250. I also stick with larger pieces of meat. I have a 55 day, wet aged flat on now. Weighed about 8 1/3 lbs. This was a totaly different cook.

Mike
  • GenesGrill
    Options
    Mike...excuse my ignorance, but what does "wet aged" mean? Did you marinate it in something?
  • GenesGrill
    Options
    Dan...actually, my wife will use the camera more than I will. However, maybe for father's day she can get me a thermapen. I love my guru. Pricey, but nice....
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    You get the pack date from the meat cutter. Leave the meat in the Cry-O-Vac for 30 days past the pack date in an unused a fridge if possible. That is wet aging. Most meat you are getting at the store is 20 days. I went 55 days with this.

Mike