Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stevia..has anybody used this?

vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read about Stevia for a long time. I planted some last week and can't wait to see how it grows. Here is a quote from the Stevia website:

If you've ever tasted stevia, you know it's extremely sweet. In fact, this remarkable noncaloric herb, native to Paraguay, has been used as a sweetener and flavor enhancer for centuries.

Have any of you ever used this herb? If so do you have any recipes you can share. I will let you all know how it goes.

I also planted jalapenos so I could have some heat as well :P

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Here is the only one from food tv

sorry i will keep looking

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RustyEgg
    RustyEgg Posts: 25
    I've heard alot about it and did have the opportunity to try it. We were out with some friend who happened to have some with them. So I used it to sweeten my coffee. Well, it didn't taste any different and it was just as I like it. I used much less than usual but it had the same affect as if I had added my usual "heaping" of sugar. They said they buy it from a nutritianal store (I think online). I've also heard about its medicinal uses (in a paste form) but haven't been able to find any information about that use.

I would think that you could use it in any recipe that called for suger/sweetener but you'd use less.

Everything I've heard has been good.

RustyEgg
  • I use stevia all the time. I have never grown it. What I buy is in liquid form. I use it in coffee, tea, BBQ sauce or anything that needs sweetening. It is very effective although it is a little bit bitter compared to sugar. I like to use a little brown sugar or molasses in BBQ sauce to add body to the sauce. Stevia is so strong that it doesn't add anything body wise to the sauce. However, you can use corn starch for thickening properties.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Thanks much for the info. I am growing it now and will pick and dry the leaves later in the season. I am looking forward to trying it.