Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grid is Awesome

East Cobb Eggy
East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I have made several steaks on the EGG now and the results have been pretty good. Last week, I picked up a cast iron grid at the mothership. Cooked steaks that night and the difference was apparent as soon as I put on the meat.

Got the EGG and grid up to about 600.

Put on the steaks.... then I heard the sizzle and the EGG started bellowing out smoke.

Prior to now, I have had to up the TRex method for searing from 90 seconds to 2.5 minutes per side. This time based on the observations I changed back to the 90 seconds.

The results were amazing. These were some of the best steaks that I have ever had including some pretty pricy steakhouses.

The problem I now have is: I am planning on getting a Small for traveling and as an extra cooking surface. Can I get a cast iron grate for a small??

Greg

Comments

• GangGreen
    GangGreen Posts: 32
    ECE.

To my knowledge there is not one available. I have been on the look out for the past year. It would be awesome to have the cast iron just to cook one or two on the small.

Regards,

GG
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Greg,I'm glad you like your CI grid.Me too :woohoo: :woohoo: They don't make one for the small yet :( ,but you can get a square one from Home Depot and cut it to fit your small.I am still waiting for BGE to offer one. :whistle: The steaks do seem to taste better though.I am about to post tonights steaks :):) ,
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    ayup..CI grate is available for the small and it is a 'grate' steak cooker!.. :woohoo:
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Doug,

Based on the contradicting responses, I checked the BGE site, and EGGTUCKY is right.

They do offer the CI for the small.

:woohoo: :woohoo:

There is nothing keeping me away from getting my small now.

Except for the money of course.

:whistle:

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Eggtucky,

Thanks for the info.... when I get my small... i will need to get a CI....

and a platesetter....

and a pizza stone.... :blink:

My wife is gonna kill me.

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    GG,

I just checked the BGE site, and it says that they do have one.... SO you might be in luck.

:woohoo:

Let us know if you get one.

BTW, do you like your small?

Greg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Before BGE started offering them I cut three cast iron grates for small eggs. If you are at all handy and have the tools it's not that hard to do. This one came from a Char-Broil 8000 series Cast Iron Grid SKU # 0 47362 89805 from Home Depot. They may have to order it for you, but you can get two grates from it at $15 a piece.
    IMG_1670.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Greg,sorry for giving false info.I just talked to my dealer yesterday,and he said they still wern't available. :blush: I guess this is a new product that he didn't know about.I will let him know,thanks
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Thanks for the feedback.... sounds like a grate idea??

The Weber equipment does not have any detrimental effects on the EGG, does it?
    ;)

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Doug,

No problem. Hopefully, you can get one.

Greg
  • RRP
    cast iron is cast iron...besides I personally believe the un-restricted self made grate is better since it can expand with the intense heat vs the constraining outer circular ring of the BGE one. OTOH with the CI13 being a new product that tells me that it is only available at the Mothership in Hotlanta - just like the new Nomex gasket. You'll probably need a new gasket once you see the wonderful results you get from cast iron at high temps. You might want to order both at the same time to save S & H. Just trying to be helpful.
  • How do you take care of the cast iron grid? Does it rust?
  • RRP
    I can not and will not speak for whatever BGE sends with their product, but my cast iron that I cut is now 5 years old. At first I cured it like Lodge said to do with their Dutch ovens and it looked beautiful IMO.
    IMG_00851.jpg

Very soon thereafter I discovered that high heat on cast iron eliminates that cherished black coat that you want on pots for low temp protection...but when you want sear marks on your burgers, chicken breasts, and steaks you want the HOT cast iron.

While it may appear to have rust at the outset, the cast iron builds up its own protective coating that withstands a quick cleaning before use by one of these common stainless steel pipe brushes, which are actually quite cheap!
    IMG_1875.jpg
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Is it ready yet Bobby?
  • batt
    batt Posts: 40
    You can prevent rust on you CI grill by the liberal application of meats and heat on a regular basis. This will keep the grate well greased. :laugh:
  • batt
    batt Posts: 40
    You can prevent rust on you CI grill by the liberal application of meats and heat on a regular basis. This will keep the grate well greased. :laugh: