Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Rex ate my Remote Thermometer!

Options
APeoples
APeoples Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok. So I'll begin by saying that it probably wasnt the smartest thing for me to do...using my remote thermometer while cooking steaks the T-Rex method. Apparently, a thermometer cant handle 1000+ degrees, and I should've known that. :blush:

I was just a little curious as to how the temperature moved while cooking that way. Anyway, for those of you who are wondering, its a BAD IDEA! :)

Before I go buying a new one, any chance anybody has a broken one laying around or knows where I can buy just the probe? My electronics still work b/c they werent exposed to the heat, but the insulated and tin-foil wrapped cord going to my probe melted. It plugs into the receiver with what looks like a headphone jack.

I'm reluctant to shell out the cash to buy another. All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    What brand? Most of them will sell just the probes but you will need to likely go through the manufacturers customer service department.
  • APeoples
    Options
    Well that wont work. I picked this thing up at Circuit City on clearance. Its a Nexxtech. The manufacturer does not sell direct at all. Seems to me though, that any corded remote thermometer would plug in this way or something like it. Maybe another manufacturer sells one that would work with mine, or maybe I'll get lucky and somebody has one with fried electronics. .
  • Doctor Evil
    Options
    I agree that somebody has to have a replacement. If you have to replace yours, I recommend a dual temp unit. I purchased a BGE brand wireless unit that measures both the grill temp and the meat temp. I love it. I remove the old temp probe from the dome and stick the "grill temp" probe into that hole. The meat probe, of course, goes into the meat. This way, I can monitor the dome and meat temp remotely.
    Eric
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    APeoples,
    I have done the same thing with a poler (sp) type and found that they would sell direct to me for only $5 each. I ordered 5 of them. If you want to try one of these, it's got the silver metal covered wire. I will send you one. If it works send me some money, if not send the probe back. Send me an email if you want to try one. Only thing is that I won't be home till Thursday.

Willy
    Spring TX
  • APeoples
    Options
    Hey Willy, I would REALLY appreciate that, Thanks! That is very nice of you.

To improve our odds this will work before you go through the trouble, can you check how the probe connects to your remote unit? Mine connects by what looks like a headphone jack...Audio_Extension_Cable.jpg

Here's a picture of my remote bbq. See how the probe plugs into the round thing? Does yours do something similar? 1063963.jpg

Hope to hear from you soon!!

Adam
  • This same unit is sold under the Weber brand name.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Looks like it will work. I think I have one like yours and will make sure when I get home. You can email me your address.

Willy