Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon...leave skin ring on or off?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought some beautiful Copper River King salmon steaks. I've never had this style cut before - always just the big red slabs or filets I guess you call them. Do I need to leave the resulting ring of skin on these cross cut sections to keep the meat from falling apart? I selected different thicknesses so that I could cut each steak in half and then package them as a small for my wife and a larger thicker one for myself - but I wonder what that might do to the meat. Call ne a cornfused landlubber when it comes to fish!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    RRP, I just about ready for my walk - to save you the trouble of figuring it out, why don't I just bring them home...[p]I would leave it on until after they cook. Just my thoughts :~}[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    RRP,
    If you got Copper River King at $16 to $20 a pound, it is against the law to freeze a fish of this quality.
    If it is Sockeye at $4 to $7 a pound it's not quite as bad
    but this fish is too good to freeze, have a party and eat it.
    Jim
    PS leave the skin on.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Jim Minion, I'm normally a law abiding citizen, but timing was against me! It just so happens that I just egged 2# of salmon Monday night - had a wonderful meal of it, and have a bunch left over which we love to snack on cold with crackers...soooooo at this stage I'm kinda out of the mood right now. OTOH I do have a Food Saver which does great and just maybe if "the Judge" takes that into consideration he won't throw the book at me! Thanks to you and Gfw I will leave the skin on those beautiful babies!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    RRP,[p]At those prices, I'd leave the skin on. When crisp, it's tasty.[p]CB

• Unknown
    Options
    RRP,[p]For salmon filets leave the skin on and grill skin down. The skin protects the meat from drying out, and the filet will lift off the skin very easily after it's cooked. But for steaks it doesn't matter if its on or off. Thus you might as well leave it on and remove it after the steak is cooked, when it will come off easier. The skin from the filet cooked skin down is crispy and tasty, but the skin from the steak cooked flesh down is neither crispy nor tasty. To skin the steak after cooking put the tines of a fork between the skin and the flesh, and twist the fork. The skin will come right off. [p]Almost everyone overcooks salmon initially. To avoid this remove the salmon when a white substance begins to form on the sides and top. This is the fat, of which Copper River has much, and indicates doneness. Let rest a few minutes, as it will continue to cook slightly. Cut into it, and if it's not done through just pop it in a 375 oven for a minute or so. Drizzle with lemon juice and coarse or sea salt. Enjoy. It's one of life's great pleasures.