Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small egg and new hinge

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been reading the post below about the problems with the small and the old hinge. I have a small and although I havent had that problem it doesnt mean that I wont. I did however have my lid on my large fall out of its hinge shortly after buying it. Fortunatly it fell on the bottom of the egg and did not break. I replaced the hinge with the locking hinge. I since keep all the bolts tight and have put silicon on the hinge to help keep it in place. [p]Now BGE is going to come out with a replacement hinge for the small. I will probably purchase it to help prevent my small from getting damaged. But that really bothers me. I have to spend extra money to buy an improvement of a defective hinge. Should I not be able to get a discount on the replacement? Maybe turn in my old one for a better price on the new one. Im sure the new smalls will then have the new hinge leaving existing customers with a hinge that will possibly break there egg or injure themselves. This is a real sore point with me. I even hesitate recommending my egg to people cause im afraid there lid will get broken and they will have to pay for a replacement.[p]Like I said though I will probably end up buying it anyway. BGE will earn a profit off of me trying to protect my investment not from me trying to improve my egg.[p]Sorry just venting a little. [p]Tom

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Tom, I have a 1984 Chevy S-10 pickup. It does not have airbags. While I think the addition of airbags would be a nice safety feature, I have never considered asking GM to put them in or give me a discount on purchasing them (if I even could). Maybe I should but have not really ever thought about it. I don't consider the locking hinge on my medium to be defective but I certainly think the new hinge is an improvement. Would I like for BGE to give me a discount on the new hinge? Yes. Would it encourage me to buy the new hinge? Yes. Do I expect it? No. Just my thoughts.

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    Wise One,[p]I was not comparing the locking hinge with the new hinge I was comparing the standard hinge and the need to update it due to its past history of broken lids.[p]I dont really buy your comparison to your chevy truck. Did chevy release newer versions of the 1984 chevy S10 with improved seat belts? Were the existing seat belts not working properly or causing damage to the truck? Was anything broken or anyone hurt due to the ineffeciency of the seatbelt? Your comparison adds a feature to the truck. Mine does not. I stated I would not be buying the hinge to IMPROVE my egg I would buy it to keep from damaging my egg in future.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Tom ,
    you're right. The better analogy would be my hood which was so thin that if closed wrong it would actually bend in half. They did not replace that but I did get a better hood when my son wrecked it. :-) I do understand your position as I have an old model hinge on my mini which I think is a total pain. I have found what I have to do to guarantee it will not fall but I sure would like a new improved hinge on that little guy. It's like with a lot of products, the pioneers are not necessarily rewarded with the improvements they discover a need for. Software products are notorious for that. Their take is that in addition to fixing the problem, they are also increasing functionality.

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Wise One, Very well said. I too believe that these new hinges are an improvement, but don't see original as defect, just an earlier design. I have locking hinge on my medium. May buy the new one some day, who knows.