Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multiple Baby Backs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We live in a small condo, and without a lot of space decided that the small egg would be just enough for us. However, this weekend, I have several family members coming over for Father's day, and my dad loves ribs. I've purchased about 6lbs of ribs, and I read in the book that they can be stacked one on top another to cook. It recommended that they be rotated every 10 mins or so. Has anyone tried this? Would I be better off cooking each rack of ribs seperate?[p]The book also recommends cooking at 300 for 45 mins or until done. Would I need to increase the time to account for the large amount of meat?[p]I'm fairly new to grilling and really new with my egg, but everything we've had off of it has turned out perfect. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Spudnic,
    What kind of ribs are you cooking? Babybacks?
    I usually do them over direct heat (with hickory and apple for smoke), dome temp of around 250º, in a rib rack.
    They usually take 3 to 3.5 hours. Midway through, rotate the rack, and flip the ribs if the end toward the coals is getting brown.
    Let them sit for a few minutes before slicing.
    One pretty good way to tell when they are done is the meat will have pilled back from the end of the bone about 3/4" on the thin end.
    You can use a v-rack inverted for a rib rack if you have one. Otherwise you can lay them on the grill flat. Watch your temp and good eating!

• Unknown
    Options
    Spudnic, i cook mine indirect heat, i.e. drip pan, v-rack, 250 for around 3 hours then baste with bbq sauce anp put them on direct until the sauce carmellizes, usually 15-20 minutes with 1 turn in between. the secret and the beauty of the egg is to cook slow, slow, slow. good eats to ya.

• buffy
    buffy Posts: 9
    Options
    Spudnic,
    Stacking is a little variable. You basically make the meat a lot thicker by stacking it. It seems like if you stack 3-4 layers of ribs, you'll end up with the outside meat being cooked before the inside meat. A little uneven. [p]Using a rib rack is good, because it still gives some space in between the meat. I've seen a couple folks on this board roll their ribs up like a cinammon roll and place a skewer through it keep it like that through the cook. I would play with both these methods to see how much meat you can get on.[p]As for as cooking recommendations, everybody has an opinion on this board. I recommend looking at Tim's board for several methods:<a href=http://www.tm52.com/bge/>Tim's Board</a>

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    Spudnic,[p]with a 13" grill, you could roll your ribs. i do this and they turn out great. you just roll them in towards the membrane side and stick a bamboo skewer thru. you should be able to fit about 3 slabs on like that. make sure you place them on the grill with the bone-ends up.[p]good luck.[p]never tried stacking them. sorry.
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    rolled_spares1_small.jpg
    <p />Spudnic,[p]Here is a pic of a rolled rack of spares. Be sure to leave some space between the meat where it overlaps.[p]I would avoid stacking the ribs as they will get no smoke and take forever to cook. You would need to be constantly changing the stack to achieve uniform results.[p]Be sure to leave the rack of ribs whole if you will roll![p]Stogie
  • Kansas
    Kansas Posts: 11
    Options
    Spudnic,
    Just a bit of wisdom. Ignore what you read in the book as it is normally inaccurate. Read the forum and you will learn so much more.
    Kansas