Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a medium Egg and have done a few briskets (usually just the flat piece). Seems to come out too dry at 190 degrees. What am I missing?[p]Thanks,

Comments

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Joemat,[p]Make sure you're cooking at 210* to 225* at the meat level. Don't use the dome temp.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Joemat,[p] I use a v-rack over an aluminum pan, you can add water if you wish, or just leave it empty. This will deflect the heat & it should not dry out as much also be sure to load up the lump coals & stay close to the 250F mark & you should do fine.One other thing, did you have a fair amount of fat or did you trim some of it off? If you trimed, maybe you removed to much.[p]Earl

• billex
    billex Posts: 27
    DavidR,
    How do you get the temp at the meat lever without blowing the probe???

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    billex,
    Just stick the probe through the "corner" of the brisket so that the tip sticks out a couple inches. Make sure it is not hanging out too far from the meat, and that it is over your heat deflector. You could use a potato, or, like Cat, a wine cork.[p]Your goal is to keep the probe off of the metal grate, over your defector, and just a couple inches from your meat. You won't fry the probe at brisket temps.[p]Have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    Or, you can cut a potato in half, lengthwise, stick the probe through there, and have the probe about 1/2" off the grate and a nice stable flat surface to sit on the grate as well.

• Joemat,
    A flat is plain harded to keep moist, the deckle has a lot of fat in it and helps keep the flat moist.
    I would use water pan and add water and foiling with added fluids for the end of the cook.
    Jim