Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ2 v. Stoker

Options
UglyEgg
UglyEgg Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to egging and actually will be picking my new large BGE up at the Texas Eggfest. I am very interested in the temperature control systems and am looking to order one very soon. After reading the reviews from Naked Whiz I'm not sure which temperature control system to purchase. I really want input from the Egghead Forum on which you use and why. What make one better than the other. Like I said I am ready to order, I just want the Egg experts to give me their opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Ugly

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Uglyegg,

Congratulations and welcome.

I had the same problem as you when trying to decide. I ended up buying the DigiQ2 then some months later I also purchased the Stoker. TNW site was great and helped but I really wanted more information.

I was really interested in computer monitoring/control of the cooks.

My reasoning to getting the Q2 1st after a long search and a lot of questions.
    I wanted the higher temp probes - less chance of damaging to the probes. Smaller size and more water restance. I was not sure I wanted to deal with the chip inside the probes on the Stoker.

After owning the q2 and several cooks, it is extremely simple (easy to use) and a very quick setup. I ended up using it more than I thought I would. With that said I now only use either unit for longer cooks or cooks where I might be away from the egg.

The Maverick ET-73 dual probe remote thermometer solved my yearing for wireless monitoring of the meat and pit temps. I still wanted remote control, in my cast my computer.

I thought I wanted the ability to plot the cook and still wanted to control and ability to change settings remotely.

At this time I only had a large egg but I ended up getting the Stoker anyway. My first use of the stoker was in very cold weather and after the q2 I was expecting the ease of using the q2. I only glanced throught the manual.

I set up the Stoker and thought I set things up correctly via the front controls. However, I was wrong. I made some errors and got frusterated, as I was not contorling the pit temp. I was freezing so I pulled the Stoker and put the q2 on and went in and got warm.

Second use of the Stoker I again got things going but still not controlling the pit temp. I hooked it up to the computer and on the computer I stumbled onto what I was doing wrong and made the corrections. I still haven't figured how to make the needed changes on the front panel of the stoker itself. That is my fault not that of the stoker.

The computer hook up was pretty slick, but a bit more involved than the q2.

The stoker allows me to use as many meat & pit probes as I want and when I order another fan I will be able to control multiple eggs (which I now have three eggs) and monitor multiple foods.

I lke the q2 for a quick set up, small and simple to use. I havne't used the stoker very much mostly because I haven't taken the time to really learn the unit. Don't take this as the Stoker is hard to use, it is just me and my not following through and using the unit very much.

If I could only have one, I think I would be back to my (and your) original question.

I would say if you think you really want to monitor multiple meats, mulitple eggs and want to control via computer then the only answer is the Stoker.

Guru has a wireless unit but at the time I didn't want to spend that much time and I though the q2 had newer features.

If you are a person who wants simplicity and and speed of setup then the q2. Now with that said I am sure many people will say the Stoker is easy to set up. I seem to use the q2 more.

I just haven't taken the time to learn the Stoker like I should. I need to sit down and take the time to use the Stoker properly.

They are both great units I don't think you would make a mistake with either choice.

GG
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    The BGE has an excellent built in temperature control system. Easy to use, ecologically friendly (no power needed).
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Michael, "no power needed" ???

Kent
  • Michael B
    Options
    Ok...
    Human power is needed to set the dampers. After set, no further power neded.
    Better? :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    LOL... Mine uses 12 Volts not much in the scope of things though. You work nights or can't sleep?

Kent
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Don't forget you have a third option (tee hee): Whizzeroo-Q-Guru It is endorsed by some pretty important people:

bush.jpg
    The Naked Whiz
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I read the info on TNW's site and bought the Guru.

I think that both will work great.

If you are really into computers and downloading software and monitoring your cook from the office and have designs on controlling multiple cookers, then you have no choice but to get the Stoker.

My belief is (no data here) that if you want a sure thing to use it the first day out of the box, the Guru is the way to go.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    Guru is VERY easy to use. I had mine out of the box and hooked up in 15 minutes.
  • Grill With Bill
    Options
    If you want to use your computer to control the unit than the Stoker is the way to go. Also, a fellow named Amir on the Virtual Weber Bullet forum has written a great program to control the Stoker. It's called StokerLog and it adds a bunch of features, including graphs, email/text message temperature updates, open lid detection, and much more.

Bill
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I absolutely love my Whizzeroo-Q-Guru. :woohoo:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Ah yes, I forgot about the Whizzeroo, but that is sort of like trying to understand congress.

GG
  • Michael B
    Options
    I work nights... mostly.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I went with the stoker. I set it up on the computer and I haven't downloaded one single thing,although I plan to. My 12yr old uses it all the time with no trbl. I like the fact that I can get as complicated or as simple as I want.
  • Sodak
    Sodak Posts: 57
    Options
    I say get the Stoker. Then get with the forum webmaster and hook it up to this forum so we can make adjustments in case you're too busy. :evil:

That gives me an idea - Microsoft Egg Simulator. You choose your Egg and fire and simulate cooking on it. Too geeky?
  • UglyEgg
    UglyEgg Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank all you guys for all of the valuable info. I really appreciate your input.