Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking indoors? Bad Idea?

brklynbbq
brklynbbq Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I live in Brooklyn, and I had a backyard. I bought a medium Egg, because it seemed like the smart thing to do, and it was, and I could smoke all day and night without a worry. Eight racks of ribs, several chickens, several fillets, a few pizzas and one brisket later... we got the boot from our place.
All is well in the new place, I have a small front yard, and I have a garage to secure the Egg at night, and ribs and steaks are all easy enough to do because I can keep an eye on the thing, as it is not easy to run off with a 110lb hunk of ceramic, wheels or not.
That said, my dreams of a 13 hour pork butt are slinking away from me, because it may be too risky (for the Egg and the pork) to leave it out in front all night, so here are my three ideas/ questions...
I could use a bike lock to lock it shut, and to my fence.

I could build some sort of cage for it

I could make a hood, or hose from the top to a vent out of the top of my garage.

With all three of these plans I am worried that I'll interfere with the venting. And the garage idea seems like the least silly (though I can see the look on my wife's face when buy venting hose, and tell her I want to cut a hole in the garage for a smoker vent... and then print a sign telling passerbys not to call the FDNY) But all that aside, how bad of an idea would it be to let a smoker go overnight in a garage?

City living, huh.

-brklynbbq

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    There is no way I could sleep at night knowing there was a fire in my garage.I don't care how controlled it is.This is a bad idea.Try the bike lock
  • brklynbbq
    brklynbbq Posts: 14
    Sometimes you just have to verify the obvious answer, you know? Thanks. If you see a news story about a thief apprehended with a 4lb pork butt with an internal temp of 115... you'll know who the victim is!
    Still... if anyone was crazy enough to try their egg in the garage, I'd like to hear about it.

b-bbq
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Do not under any circumsatnces egg in your garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stike (i am pretty sure it was him)came on here a few nights ago and told a story about carbon monoxide and i will never egg inside.... there is no reason to... ok here is what you do.. light the egg it is really hot no one will want to carry it far....... if there is a big security problem light it early and let a trusted friend (who you will share your bounty with) watch the egg and let you know if there is a problem if you need to take a nap... i would start the egg 5-6 in the morning then you have a neighbor or a buddy be able to come over and watch your egg if you have to go back to bed for a nap... that is what i would do....

but when i got my egg i lived close to a busy road (i know not nearly as many people that live in brooklyn)... but my dad asked me what i was going to secure it with?? i asked him what i should do chain a block to it? i mean it is heavy!!!! and if it is hot and someone whants it they got to be more man than i am ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    If you don't mind having your and your wifes bright cherry red DEAD bodies picked up by FDNY EMS in the morning it's not all that bad.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy!
    I'm with the "bad idea" folks. This is one of those kinda things where if you have to ask, then it's probably a bad idea. And if anyone answers with "sure, I've been doing it for 10 years", just make sure and factor in those who say it's a bad idea.

Best of luck!!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You should post pictures of your house and your egg was OUTSIDE.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I'd kinda like to forget that picture. I think folks get the idea though.

As you said, mine was in the driveway, and I'd been cooking in the same spot for 8 years. Today, I would still look at it and think it's a safe spot. But I wouldn't cook with any charcoal cooker on (or in) anything that is attached to my house. Too much can happen too fast, and always when least expected.

Cool post below of your experiences in Salisbury. I only had a 3 hour drive, and I was really close to pulling over to sleep. Glad you made it home safe mang!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    allright...here is what i did....I live in the straight up ghetto where a person would rather die than cook with gas

soooooooo...I have first a gas grill decoy on my front stoop as a deterrent.

I have shielded ( a construction term for concrete nailed down a metal plate with a loop attached) a plate with a loop that I run a cable thru my eggs hinge system and it does not interfere with opening/closing

I also dont advertise the egg with a wonderful green egg cover....I HAVE A CHEAPY VERSION GRILL COVER
    whatever you do
    do not cook indoors.....we do not want to read any bad news on this site...ITs FORBIDDEN

try this out....of course you could take a bottle of no-doze, wear camo and sit out all night in the bushes with a mossberg 500 JIC just to be sure no-one messes with it...yes this is extreme...but I am known for being an extremist :evil: :evil:
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    I've cooked with my eggs in the garage lots of times... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My garage is in the front of the house. The back wall is a river birch, B) the one side is stacked firewood :unsure: , the other side is shrubs and the street side is... uh... the street. :P

I have not put a roof over my garage, so it gets pretty chilly in the winter time. :silly: :silly: :cheer: :silly: :silly:

Good luck -- and Enjoy!

~ B
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    I think you now know not to smoke / cook in your garage. Metalhead suggested a mossburg in the bushes, I recomend the AA12 Remington as shown on you tube . Check the site . It will make a good statement why not to steal any thing from you . I'am Miles and I approve of that shotgun, It will shoot clay's very well, And your egg will remain safely in your driveway. Go to you tube ... enter aa12 .
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    aside from the carbon monoxide, potential for fire, danger of smoke inhalation, and the fact that your insurance company wouldn't cover you if anything happened, i think you are fine. make sure you post pics, or at least give us to the link when you show up on the "Darwin Awards' website.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante