Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Lovers Rejoice!

alternity
alternity Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have found some fresh Copper River sockeye salmon
in a local market here. They only run for 3 weeks this time of year and are noted for their rich flavor and texture.[p]It was really good! I marinated an hour in a some Cillantro Lime salad dressing with some garlic, ginger honey and cracked pepper and some chipotle chili spice.[p]Then direct cooked at 400 for about 10 minutes. [p] Happy summer Q'in to yas all[p] your ol pal alt

Comments

• alternity,[p]I'm with you; if anybody has the opportunity to try Copper River Salmon, do![p]It's a bit of a regional thing I think. The Copper River is in Alaska, and I'm not sure that those of us that know about this wonderful fish let too much of it out of the Pacific Northwest![p]I've seen this stuff sell for as much as $30 a pound at gourmet shops, but I noticed whole ones at Costco for $3.99 a pound the other day. I can't believe I did'nt stock up right then and there. I hope to get back there in the next day or so and grab a few for the whole summer.[p]Alternity: I'll have to give your marinade a try, it sounds great. I have some homemade (on the Egg of course!) chipotles of my own right now.[p]Good weekends to all,
    bc[p]

• bc,
    There is quite a bit of hype about Copper River salmon, and some of it is very misleading. I was once in the Alaskan salmon business. Perhaps I can clear up some common misconceptions so we all can better enjoy grilled salmon.[p]The Copper River is one of Alaska’s longest salmon spawning rivers. The longer a salmon has to swim to spawn the more fat he needs to have before he starts the journey (salmon don’t eat once they enter fresh water). Fat is the same to salmon as it is to beef. The more it has the better the flavor and the more tender (i.e. prime vs. choice beef). [p]There are two species of Copper River Salmon, the King and the Sockeye. The King weighs 20 pounds plus and has the most fat of any salmon. The Copper River King travels 300 miles up river to spawn, and thus has the most fat and thus its awesome flavor. The Sockeye weighs 5 – 6 pounds plus and has less fat because it doesn’t spawn as far up-river. Its flavor is good but is inferior to the King (although the Sockeye’s flesh is a brighter red because it feeds on krill, and thus has more eye appeal).[p]The Copper River run lasts only about three or four weeks beginning in mid to late May. The King retails in Seattle, the entry market, at roughly $20/plus per pd, the Sockeye at $10/pd. Here is the hype. You will see Sockeye marketed as Copper River “Salmon” (not as Copper River Sockeye), but the King marketed as Copper River King. While there is a huge difference in quality, the public in general isn’t aware of it. They think Copper River is Copper River. So when they see Copper River “Salmon” at $10/pd and Copper River King at $20 - $30/pd they think the later is a rip-off, but it isn’t. [p]Pricing is usually based on fillets or steaks. Costco’s $3.99 was for whole dressed Copper River Sockeye, but it’s still a heck of a price. You can take advantage of the price by smoking the fish and keeping it for a few days refrigerated or vacuum sealed. Brine in coarse salt/brown sugar 6 hours to overnight; rinse, air dry well until a white pellicle appears, and alder smoke slowly in the Egg for about six hours. [p]My favorite way to fix salmon is to rub with a touch of Worcestershire, then olive oil or butter, fresh ground black pepper, and Fleur de Sal sea salt. Saute flesh down in heavy grill pan just to brown and create grill marks. Then into the Egg skin down on foil at 200 with Alder smoke for a few minutes. Remove salmon, crank up the heat to 350 - 400, and finish. It should be just firm to the touch and a bit of white liquid will be oozing from the sides and top. Total at the higher heat will be less than about 8 minutes, depending on thickness. Let rest to finish cooking. If when you cut into it it needs a touch more cooking time just zap for only 4 – 5 seconds at a time in the micro, or return to 350 heat. Be very careful of overcooking. Squeeze lemon juice and add more sea salt. Nirvana![p]

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    MCD,[p]Great post!
    This forum is an amazing source for all things food and I just learned something new.
    Thanks for that, MCD.
    Beers![p]WD

• MCD,
    That is one heck of a chunk of info, and I do appreciate it![p]I knew there was a difference in price and taste of King v. Sockeye, but always just assumed it to be the size of the king giving you larger steaks, and easier to remove bones.[p]BTW: I did pick up several of the Sockeyes for $3.99, and they where so good our guests went out and bought some the next day, and brought them to me to steak, and filet them![p]Of course they came with three and left with two... :)[p]Thanks a bunch for that great info,
    bc

• MCD, hows well does the King freeze in the Food Saver? I had some regular salmon the other night that had been frozen three months ago and it was quite good. Does the high fat content you mention have any impact?