Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jake wants to know what to do with these?

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Couple preprocessed flat irons from Brookshires that wife picked up on way home from church on sale. Me and Jake never done any and open to sugestions. Worked of 12 hr weekend so nothing real complicated. Reather drink a cold one and relax. Thanking about some of those planked mashed potatos minuse the sweetpotatos as haven't got any. Planning to Trex the stake but open for ideas. Need to start something in about an hr to hr and half. Thanks gang ;)
1STMARCH104.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I like to tenderize them with a tenderizing mallet. This will also even out the thickness. I marinate them for 30-60 minutes in a EVOO based marinade. Then a 2 minutes sear per side usually gets them medium rare.

Slice fairly thin against the grain on a bias.

Steak800.jpg
  • JLOCKHART29
    OK So beat'em and soak'em then lightly burn'em. Sounds like a plan so far. What kind of EVOO marinade you make up?
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    flat irons are like tri tips around here. only seen them once. so i am no help. good to see jake is recouperating from his premature balding. you made me laugh with the '
    I'll grap the porter to go with his wine, shoot one of my calfs and be down day after tomorrow!!
    better hope i don't win the lottery i will be in your driveway looking like 'cousin eddie' and the RV from national lampoons christmas vacation.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I like lemon or lime juice, garlic, onion, cumin and black pepper.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    I like to cook my flat steaks by marinating them for a while and then placing them directly on burning embers. I generally get the egg up to about 700º then I tap the coals to get any ash off them. The I place the steak directly on the coals (o grate) I flip after about 50 seconds cook for another 50 seconds I then remove the steak and wrap the steak in aluminum foil. I then let it rest for about 10 minutes.

My wife loves them this way. Please don't tell her how I cook them. She would never eat something cooked right on the coals
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I'd either Trex them with some Dizzy Pig Raising The Steaks rub (or Montreal Steak seasoning if you don't have the DP) or I'd do them by searing them direct on the coals 2 minutes per side, then finish roasting them until medium rare. Very very very tasty!
    The Naked Whiz
  • JLOCKHART29
    All right, Let me git this right Rollocks and Whiz. High temp sear them direct on coals for about 2 min a side then eather wrap or finnish roasting? Fidel going to do your marinade but I got to try this :woohoo: ! Jeffersonian got some flank in freezer to do fajhitas with soon. Got to cook like a caveman tonight! Meat good, beer good, fire good, Ya'll great!! ;)
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I just cooked some flat iron steaks myself tonight and they turned out great. I marinated them in Merlot only for 6 hours, hot tubbed em, put some steak seasoning on and threw them on a hot egg. Seared both sides for 2 minutes, then allowed egg to cool to around 400 degrees and cooked for an additional 8 minutes until medium rare. I was surprised how good they were. Very similar to fillet mignon but a little more beefy. At $3.99 per pound I know I will be cooking these many more times in the future. ;)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Yep, that would work. I do it with flank steak and the taste is great. Just make sure you have a nice red hot even bed of coals so that the whole piece of meat is on hot charcoal. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Put them on dry ice and I'll email you my address!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Like some else said, Trex them with the spices of your choice. Slice thin.

Flatiron1.jpg
  • Sodak
    Sodak Posts: 57
    Fidel wrote:
    I like to tenderize them with a tenderizing mallet. This will also even out the thickness. I marinate them for 30-60 minutes in a EVOO based marinade. Then a 2 minutes sear per side usually gets them medium rare.

I've never cooked a parrot using that method, I'll have to give it a shot. :evil:
  • Sodak
    Fidel wrote:

I've never cooked a parrot using that method, I'll have to give it a shot. :evil:
  • Sodak
    Fidel wrote: