Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about safe MAPPing

Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought a MAPP torch -- wow! Now THAT's grilling! Don't even need the Egg anymore -- just blast the food for a few seconds, and time to eat.[p]Seriously, though, it worked fine, but how long should I hold it on the lump -- 10 seconds? 15? When do you know it's long enough?[p]And the instructions say to take the torch off the cylinder every time you are done using it -- is that for real? Or is this one of those "belt and suspenders" precautions?[p]Tell you what, though -- I used my long leather gloves and a polycarbonate face-shield, and I'm glad I did. The torch hit a pocket of something in the lump and I got a fairly nice shower of sparks.

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Prof Dan,[p]Our own YB is the expert on MAPP gas, but I've got a couple dozen Egg startups under my belt now.[p]10-15 seconds max in the center is all you need to light the Egg where your intent is low and slow cooking. For high temp cooking, do the same is several other places around the firebox. [p]Eye protection is a GOOD idea although sparking can be minimized by not holding the flame quite so close to the lump. It will start up just as fast. IMHO, there is no need to remove the torch head from the gas cylinder after each use. I just turn the knob to "off" and set it on the self for next time.[p]BTW, not wanting to take any chances, I always ensure that my firebox is at least half full before using MAPP.[p]K~G

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    KennyG,
    Good morning...How did last nights meal turn out.
    Larry

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    YB,[p]Great, that sauce is a winner although I had to make a second batch. Once I got the first one simmering, I put the lid on the pan and took a shower - bad move. I returned to find it all boiled over on top of the range. Too much Yellow Tail?[p]K~G

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Prof Dan,
    A hair dryer makes a good complement to the mapp. You have a roaring fire in 5 minutes.