Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder instead of Butt

Options
Slapshot
Slapshot Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well... somehow we managed to pick up a pork shoulder instead of a boston butt. If I remember correctly, the shoulder will still work fine for pulled pork - correct?

Also, now that I've hauled it out of the fridge, I found it's in 2 pieces and has had the bone removed. I"m guessing each piece is 6-8 lbs. apiece. Other than losing some goodness by not having the bone, will anything else suffer from each piece being open in the middle (somewhat butterflied)?

Any adjustment to cooking times I'll need to make having both puppies on the rack cooking at the same time? I'm figuring each still cooks at around 1.5-2 hrs/lb @ 250 dome - correct?

Thanks !!!

Comments

• Tuck
    Tuck Posts: 54
    Options
    The Boston Butt comes from the shoulder. Your temps and times look correct though. If you are planning on pulling, I'd go for an internal temp of 200-205.
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks. Since the package said "pork shoulder" - is it likely that I have a butt and something else with it?

Yep, planning on pulling. Weather permitting, cooking starts tonight, slaw gets made tonight and sauce starts cooking tomorrow morning and we're hoping for PP sandwiches tomorrow night before heading out for the school play - M*A*S*H :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    don't lay it flat and open. rather bunch it into a compact mass. you don't want it to cook to quickly. minimize the surface area
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It is probably the same cut, just labeled differently. That particular is named several things depending on the geographical region.

I would cook it just like you describe.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive never seen them put both the butt and picnic together in one package as 2 pieces, nor have i seen a bonelss picnic. im betting you have 2 butts. i ctually like the taste of the picnic better, but there is more cleanup required when pulling them. fold the loose unds inder it when putting it on the grill so it looks like one big piece
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I recently had a butt that was undone a bit and I used some skewers to hold it together in the EGG. Worked great!

PB1a.jpg

Rascal
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    You sure its not a double pack of butts? Its not uncommon for packers to cryo 2 of them together, total package about 15-20 pounds. Do both pieces have a blade bone in them? If so, you have two butts. If not, disregard.

Troy
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Welcome back Troy - you've been AWOL for a couple years! Stay around now, ya hear?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Krusty
    Krusty Posts: 77
    Options
    That is exaclty how my last one came. Did you happen to buy it from Costco?

One of the two pieces will be smaller than the other. Mine was 6 pounds for one and 8 pounds for the other. I cooked the 6 pounder at 250 dome and it took about 14 hours. I read on here that it would cook faster since it was boneless, but that wasn't my experience.

If you cook them together keep in mind that the cook time will be based on each piece, not the combined weight of both pieces together.

I also used the bamboo skewers to try to keep all of the flaps together and in one compact mass. It worked out pretty good.