Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg for Sale

Options
C-ron
C-ron Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a used large egg, long table, and accessories for sale in Cary, NC. I'm eager to sell. Please e-mail me if interested and I will e-mail digital photos. Buyer to pick up.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    OK - I'll bite...why are you selling your BGE?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • C-ron
    Options
    My dad purchased it and gave it to me when he moved. I never learned how to use it to its full capacity. Plus I'm moving and my dad gave me another grill. Gotta love handme downs. There are some conditions issues that I can go into if you are really interested
  • ulika
    ulika Posts: 11
    Options
    How much are you selling it for?
  • RRP
    Options
    no, I'm not interested myself as I already own and LOVE my 4 BGEs. I just hate to hear about orphan eggs. Hope you find a loving family for it and hope you treat your new hand me down (probably a gasser) with more respect until you kick its sorry butt to the curb in a couple years. Eggs are FOREVER - lesser grills are just that...lesser.
  • C-ron
    Options
    I saw your 4 BGE on your profile. They are nice. FYI -I'm not going to a gasses. I've always been about the coal.
  • RRP
    Options
    OK - now I'm really confused! What is the problem you have with your BGE? This board will help even the "blind" see again!
  • C-ron
    Options
    I have trouble keeping constant temp for a long smoke. Coal burns to fast. Pain in the ass to add more coal.
  • C-ron
    Options
    I was thinking about $500. This is actually 1/2 the original bill of sale from 2003. It includes a large BGE, cypress long table, temp gauge, dual function metal top, ash remover, grill chipper, 18" prcelain fish grill, plat setter, and spring assisted band upgrade
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've done 24 hour cooks and still had fuel left over, how long of cooks do you do? -RP
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Ron,
    Like you I am confused as well. I think I can read between the lines in that he or she doesn't know how to cook on the egg.
    Hate to see it, but it's their choice; so good luck with their next grill.
    Hammer
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    I got 20 hours out of one load of lump last week on my medium. I wonder what's going on with your egg. :( Do you have any air gaps when it is closed?

Sure would like to help you find out what's going on with it before you sell.

Oh and the temp was pegged at 250 for the first 18 hours, then stirred the lump. It might have went even longer than 20 hours....I went to bed.
  • Hammer
    Options
    Learning to have constant temps comes with practice and patience; and the learning curve is doable with both.
    I don't understand the "coal" issue. Do you use lump?
    Hammer
  • C-ron
    Options
    For sure not 24hrs w/o adding additional coals. Usually 8 hrs when I'm smoking a butt, but I have trouble regulating the temp. If I start with to many coals my temp is to high, not enough I'm adding coals and drop the temp to low.
  • C-ron
    Options
    I'm a newbe and from my replys it appears that I need to learn how to use it. I did noticed smoke coming out between the top and the bottom. It has been like that since my dad gave it to me.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Hey my friend, with just a little help from us, you can discover that you have one of the best cookers on the planet. The amount of fuel you put into it has nothing to do with the temps it will cook at. It only determines how long you will cook. Airflow controls the temps. On an Egg you have two controllers, the daisy wheel on top and the draft door on the bottom. Despite what you may hear, only one of these devises will control the temp, the one that is letting the least amount of air through. If you think you might like to give the Egg another chance, I'd be happy to give some guidance. -RP
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    For long cooks, I fill all the way up to the top of the firering. I use three starter cubes. Two up in the top, just barely buried in the lump. One is down below the grate in the firebowl. (I light it through the bottom vent). Let the cubes burnout before you start regulating the vents. Once the cubes burn out, watch your tempts and as it rises, start slowly closing the bottom vent once the dome temp starts rising. When it gets to 250-275, close the bottom vent till it is only open 1/4 of an inch. Close the daisy wheel till just the pedals are open about half way. Set a timer for one hour, come back and check to see how things are going. Should be about 250 and hold steady for 18-20 hours with good lump. :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    minor leaks are fine. the lower vent can control everything.

but for the record, the egg (or other ceramic) is easily going to be the most controllable, least-tended charcoal cooker for long smokes.

you can go 40+ hours on a full load, and there's no reason to go that long, so anything under that is easily achievable.

driving a stick-shift is easy. teaching yourself how to do it alone is not.
    anyone you know have an egg? have you ever asked questions here? RRP (cranky bugger that he is) is even interested in helping, and he doesn't even know you. hahaha

it might not be 'right' for you, but you have stumbled on the one place that can help. i say, give it two weeks, and ask questions here about ANYTHING, and i'm beeting in two weeks tyou won't be looking for any more hand-me-down grills.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • C-ron
    Options
    I don't know anyone with an egg. This is the first time I have visited the forum. I have to say that I appreciate ya'lls input in the matter.
  • Hammer
    Options
    Welcome aboard! This is a great community to be involved in. The folks here are willing to share their knowledge with you. Just ask!
    Hammer
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    My thoughts are this:

Take the advice of the foks here. Give the egg a month of honest cooks and I think you'll be pleased. As for lump burning out too soon, there are many factors that cause this. It may start with how much you start with. I have a large and did a 12 hour cook last night. I probably used less than 1/3 of the lump I put in.

You are always welcome to give me a call at home and I'll answer your questions. Shoot me an email at geneandtania @ bellsouth.net and I'll respond to you.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Too bad Celtic Wolf is in class right now or he would probably be jumping in to offer to come to your place and teach you how to use your Egg properly. He lives near you. If he does, take him up on the offer. You won't regret it.

But for now, keep the Egg and pay attention to the other posters. Next time you feel up to cooking something on it, just show up here, ask what you need to do to make it work right and you will be absolutely amazed at just how easy it is to produce a really great meal.

Spring "Up And About But Soon To Be Down And Out" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I thought Pete was in CA, not NC?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    C-ron,

We all love our eggs and many have more than one. For some strange reason we can't even imagine someone not wanting an egg.

What really hurts is when a person can't seem to get the egg to function right in their mind, and decides to sell.

My large leaks around the rim also but the length of cooking you are talking about are a walk in the park (blindfolded).

As you can see there is a lot of help available to you free for the asking... That is if you want it.

Like many others that have already offered IF you want help shoot me an email with your phone number, I will be happy to call you.

As you can see there is a lot of help available to you or anyone else... That is if you want it.

Grandpas Grub
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    he has sooo much money he has two places one on each coast ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    Options
    C-Ron -
    If you need something to read, go to the Naked Whiz's site - great how-to info for using your egg. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

I hope I'm not smelling troll..
  • eggbasket
    eggbasket Posts: 111
    Options
    You can't even "give" an Egg away here. Why? Because everyone here is positive that you will love it! This is a 2fer deal. Before long, you will love your egg and the fine helpful and sometimes bizarre :silly: folks here on the forum. You will even call them "friends" :woohoo: .

Wait until someone starts telling you about the fun filled Egg Fests held around the country. Now there is the best time you will ever have "learnin".

See details on the first page of the forum. Lots of fun coming this year.

WARNING: OVERCONSUMPTION OF TIME ON THE FORUM MAY BE HABIT FORMING.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    Damn! I wish you were within 100 miles or so from me. My ancient egg is slowing giving in and am looking for a replacement.
  • If you can tell us where you're located we may be able to help "in person". Otherwise take a look at the top of the page at the Fest nearest you and go!! You can learn more by going to a fest than months on the forum. But, if you can't make a fest then this forum will walk you through and hold your hand all the way to your becoming a full member of the Cult.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's a good deal, but I think you should keep it too!

If you're having trouble with long cooks, I have two questions:
    1 - are you using lump charcoal or briquettes?
    2 - are you filling it up at least to the top of the firebox?

I'm sorry if others have already asked this, I skimmed the posts.

You will be amazed at the stuff you can do with an Egg.
    Weber Smoky Mountain Addicts will tell you it doesn't smoke as well as the WSM, but I don't know about that. I can't imagine anything cooking better or easier!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Ron, I see you are in Cary. I'm in North Raleigh. There was a time when I would have turned my nose up at the thought of going into Cary with their easily-offended sensibilities, but since Raleigh passed that garbage disposal ban, I've been thinking of making a public apology for everything I've ever said about Cary, begging for forgiveness, and applying for permission to move to Cary. :laugh:

Seriously, you said you are moving. If you are going to keep the Egg and be in the area, both Celtic Wolf and I would be happy to help. I know of about half a dozen Eggers in the Raleigh area, so you are not alone.

Some of the comments you have made indicate that you don't understand how the Egg works. Other posters have pointed it out already, but if you want to learn, you will find that the Egg is a great cooker. Good luck, whatever you do!
    The Naked Whiz