Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SPAM - FierieAdape LOT OF WORK TO POST SPAM

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
FierieAdape - a lot of work just to post spam

Hopefully WMK can lock out your ISP

GG

Comments

• WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,

His ip appears to be from Akron Ohio -- no guarantee this is correct though; so, banning it probably isn't a good idea.

I did disable his unconfirmed profile though; and, I'm now going to "tighten" things a bit regarding guest posts.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Seems like a bit of work to post spam.

If I understand it correctly, one has to register, receive an confirmation mail, then go login just to post some spam.

Think I would rather put something on the egg and cook.

GG
  • WMK
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,

At the moment, there is nothing to stop unconfirmed profiles from posting, but I'm going to fix that.

Unfortunately, I cannot allow guests through on "Forum Feedback", but block them on "Eggheadforum". I'm also going to add this ability. That way, folks having trouble getting registered will still have a place to post their problems. If that becomes a problem, we'll have to go to only email contact for trouble.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    some of the forums i visit require new guests to have their post get vetted before it is added to the board. don't know if that would be an issue.

a new guest signs up, makes a post, and their post is read by the moderator before it hits the board, even if it takes a delay of some time.

i think benevolent moderators here would be a good idea. you can't monitor constantly, but if someone had the power to delete OBVIOUS spam posts in your absence, it might help. the quicker they are deleted the less likely they are to try again. these moderators shouldn't delete other posts, or ban people, or offer any opinions on policy, just maybe be there to nix the spam posts as soon as possible. FWIW
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    This all sounds like a lot of work.

Thank you very much for all you do.

Kent
  • Keithww
    Keithww Posts: 62
    Options
    One other option I have seen on some boards is strikes, any user can strike a post, 3, 5, 10 or howmany ever users strike a single post and the post is removed. The admin can then decide to allow the strikes or keep the post. If a user strikes to many posts that are not spam, then their strikes loose power. On a board with hundreds of users, this get spam pulled pretty quick.

But that is used on a lot larger boards that are a lot more personal, like an adoption board that I'm on. It might be over kill for this board.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    none of my posts would last very long around here if we had that
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WMK
    Options
    stike,

This forum does have a moderator review function, but it does not allow us to restrict the activities of moderators to just approving "pending" messages.

Once we get some of the more glaring issues resolved (mostly that's the new template which should address the font size issues, and image viewing, wide/narrow view, etc.), then we'll look into more management features.

I did just add a new error message that appears when a "guest" tries to post using an existing forum handle. Any such attempt will now fail with an error message.

I also disabled the rather strange "feature" that a few have noticed whereby posting a reply to a deleted message created a new thread. This doesn't make very much sense to me; so, I added a test for a configuration option that does not yet exist -- i.e. promoting such a reply to a thread is now an option that can never be turned on (eventually I'll add a configuration option -- probably when I add a few others I'd like to have, but it doesn't seem too very important at the moment).