Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Favorite Movie

Angie2B
Angie2B Posts: 543
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got through watching "The Guardian". I love that movie. What's your favorite movie that you could watch over and over.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Goodfellas love to watch them cook in jail.... that was proabably one of the contributing factors on me learning how to cook i watched that movie and went out and bought some garlic (my mom used powder). and made sopme sauce... happened about two weeks after i moved out of home...

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    That's a tough one..I have over 300 dvds and probably 35 blu ray discs...no dups..but overall..probably Full Metal Jacket..no idea how many times I've seen it...when I got my last Tahoe new it had a dvd player in it..I kept FMJ in the truck as a demo disk for anyone that wanted to check it out..but I could name probably 5 others..most of which would be Kubrick films...
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The Hunt for Red October. I have watched it 18 times.

Careful Mr. Ryan Things in here don't react well with Bullets.

Though LOTR and Transformers are quickly moving up my favorite list.

May 2nd IRONMAN!!!!
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Tie Cool Hand Luke and Silverado.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Forrest Gump

I have to watch it every time it is on.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I like all the above but the best is Rudy or Invincible (Philly guy in the 70's LOL)
    Pat
  • Keithww
    Keithww Posts: 62
    Indiana Jones,

It's not the years, it's the miles.
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Keithww,

Have you heard about this...the new movie?

http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    An Affair to remember, The Green Mile, American Hot Wax, and American Graffiti. -RP
  • Tombstone - Never cared for Val Kilmer as an actor before that movie, but he was great as Doc Holiday.
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

One of Clint Eastwood's best films and possibly the best spaghetti western ever.
  • Keithww
    Keithww Posts: 62
    Angie2B,

This is a big year for sequels. Indiana Jones, Narnia, X-Files, and Harry Potter. The first two in May. My wife is telling me that we need to go see Crystal Skull opening night, I think she means midnight Thursday.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Also, did you know that you can watch many movies for free online? This includes cartoons, tv shows, comedy, action, etc. Whenever I am stuck with time to kill I will visit this site. Try searching it for "top gear" or "annoying devil" and you will get some really funny videos.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    The Big Red One.....is a true classic and one I've watched countless times but my favorite has to be Guadalcanal Diary. I can remember my dad taking me to the theatre on base to see it when I was probably 7.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    A couple of made for TV's come to mind...

Lonesome Dove, and an older one...Centennial.

Big screen I like stuff like Little Big Man, Jeremiah Johnson and the Indiana jones stuff.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Agreed any Kubrick film, Dr.Stranglove would be my choice.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    hmmm.

i can never pick a fave. always depends on my mood.
    saving private ryan is prob'ly the best american war movie ever made. band of brothers i could watch on a loop.

for corniness, nothing beats it's a wonderful life. i never had seen it before , and on our first anniversary (got married in december), it was on television. we watched it while having our anniversary dinner [a bottle of dom and a can of potato sticks, no kidding]. it's become a tradition, and i'm ashamed to say i no longer make fun of my wife's fondness for the movie, and now fully enjoy it, occasionally getting weepy at the end (it's long, and sometimes we have two bottles of champagne by the end).

i admit that listing citizen kane at the top is cliche', but things are cliche' for a reason. it is a superbly shot film. watch it sometime with the roger ebert or bogdonavitch voice over, and you will fill your diaper in fear when you realize wells was, what, 26 at the time (and i'm 41, having yet produced a masterpiece).

any three minute clip of buster keaton winging it is better than an hour of most commercial film it seems, but i will say, "there will be blood" gave me a great boost of faith. i walked out of that film and turned to the people i was with (we hadn't been able to speak at all during the 2+ hours), and said "there's your best frigging actor right there, boys". the very definition of a character study. unreleased, ever-building tension. keep waiting for the mainspring to snap like an overwound watch. and it never did. just boiled along under the surface, waiting for the explosion. first 30 minutes of silence set the tone.... amazing piece of film.

how about a survey on books?

("Ulysses", J.J., 1922. my 'desert island' go-to book. took three tries to get more than halfway, but since then, read it maybe 10 times. almost time to start it this year, too.)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    The Godfather...part 1,2 and 3
  • Ah, books! I don't have the attention span for Joyce but I like anything by Faulkner, Light in August, in particular. My favorite book of fiction has to be A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. You may know the story. This is Toole's first and only book. He killed himself because he couldn't get it published. His mother got an editor to read it and it snowballed from there. I still wonder who has the movie rights and lament that no one made the movie while John Belushi was still around to play Ignatius.
    Paul
  • stike
    i stumble over faulkner. i don't have the "voice" of the southern accent in my head, so unfortunately, i trip over the language, and find myself "outside the book" looking in. know what i mean?

i would love to get my head around faulkner. travesty, i know. hate to admit it.

joyce was a lot of work, but once i cracked it, i found the book far more accessible than it seemed. i came at it from the wrong direction, and unfortunately, it's the direction most people are told to go after it. it's not supposed to be as weighty and overbearing as it's presented to us in Lit. class. there's a frigging cottage industry around that book focusing on propping up entire academic careers.

but i'll admit, i could not get thru U. the first time until i put it down and did all the 'backstory' reading. still, at the bottom of it, it's nothing more (or less?) than a book about one man/everyman/no man.

came this close [holds fingers an inch apart] from editting it (i know, sacrilege!) down to a length where i could read it in public, at a bar, in about 3 or 4 hours. idea was to read it with a guiness in hand, and "introduce" the crowd to it. just never happened. good thing! who the eff wants to be sitting there tryna get ess-faced while some pedant drones on and on from U. on a beautiful June day (16th, to be precise).

ah. woulda coulda shoulda.

J.J. is my boy. out of place, too wrapped up in his own stuff to care what others think, but still worried about what others think. hahaha

everyman/noman
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Two come to mind.... "The Dirty Dozen" and "The Scarlet And The Black".
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    It's hard to beat To Kill a Mockingbird (a very young Robert Duvall as Boo).

In terms of mindless entertainment, I LOVE Used Cars. It's the greatest Spielberg produced movie ever! :laugh: If you've never seen it, rent it, crack open a few of your favorite libations and prepare to laugh.

Roudy
  • stike
    for full length tv shows and motion pictures, check out www.hulu.com
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    either Naked Gun or Airplane, Maybe Top Secret. But then again it could be any Zucker movie
  • tach18k
    Yea, that is right there next to Moving Violations,
  • tach18k
    Ok how about Mafia?
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    My top ten all time. In no particular order:

Monty Python & the Holy Grail