Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turducken

Options
Gordy
Gordy Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Words of wisdom please, cooking first turducken tonight, help appreciated. HIGH DOLLAR piece of meat so don't want to mess it up. Direction state to cook to internal tempature - 4 hours covered, one hour uncovered.[p]Thanks,
Gordy

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    gordy,
    Sorry, no words of wisdom but would love to hear how it comes out. I've been threatening to get one for a year now and you could be the chef that gives that extra shove into the world of Turducken!
    Good luck.

• Unknown
    Options
    gordy,[p]Okay, I'll bite. What the heck is Turducken??

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Skwerl X,
    This explains what a Turducken is pretty good.
    Larry

[ul][li]Turducken[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    YB,
    Wow, that looks AWESOME! Methinks the Christmas meal just got alot more interesting.

• Unknown
    Options
    YB,[p]Yeah, that's Paul Prudhomme's recipe, which is all over the internet. Now one would guess that he knows what he's doing, but I sure wouldn't want to cook any piece of uncured meat at 190 degrees for 12 hours, let alone poultry, with a ton of stuffing![p]Gordy, I don't know what temp you are cooking it at for 4 hours, or how much the thing weighs, but I assume you bought it ready-made and that it came with detailed directions. [p]Would be interested to know what you are cooking it on, at what temp, and at what internal temp are you taking it off. [p]And how was it? Did your guests like it? :-)[p]Lee

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    gordy,
    Where did you get your Turducken from? I wish I could offer some thoughts but I've yet to do one. Turducken sausage is to die for though!
    About the only advice I can give is to make sure the stuffing is fully cooked. I'd go with whatever the directions say since the Egg will cook it like an oven, only adding the smoke flavor.
    We'll all be waiting to hear your results.

• McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Options
    gordy,[p]I did one Christmas 2000. As memory serves, it was around 4 hours at 350 or thereabouts. I did it uncovered the whole cook & it was a HUGE hit. Pretty expensive for an encore tho...[p]Go for it![p]Kevin

• Cheryl
    Cheryl Posts: 18
    Options
    gordy et al....
    I would agree that I would NOT cook for 12 hrs as per the directions on the purchased turducken. I think the estimates of 4 hrs are good -- but as always.... you want to go by internal temp. [p]I've done 3 or 4 turduckens .... but more often just duckens! Only purchased the first one ... did the others from scratch. A good boning knife and lots of patience is in order when boning out all of those birds, but the results are delish![p]Let us know how it turned out!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Cheryl,
    Ok....I'm duely impressed with boning your own duck and chicken. I've watched and wouldn't want to try it.