Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Problem

Options
Willie
Willie Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On my medium, I have about 6 to 8 inches of gasket that is gone at the hinge ( back ) area. Can I replace just that area rather than replace the whole gasket? Thanks for any advice. Willie.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The new piece you try and piece in will be thicker than the old stuff untill it gets flattened with age and you will create new air gaps that will more than likely cause the gasket to fail at the seams of the old and new gasket.
    I woul replace it all.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Willie,

If the rest of the gasket is in relatively new condition you can replace the piece. Cut the old gasket and the new at substantial angles. I would look at how you lost the gasket at the back. Make sure the dome is closing evenly and not scuffing the gasket when you open and close.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    did you see my Bomba sandwitches HERE they are

sorry willie for hijacking your post.... i would relace the whole thing but like little steven said there is a reason this happened you might want to try to figure out what ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb