Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large gasket

Options
Headhunter
Headhunter Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Search function doesn't pull anything up...I know there have been discussions about whether the BGE company gasket is the best or if there is another gasket/glue out there that might be better. Anyone got any input? Thanks.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Contact BGE HQ with the problem. Their solution is Nomex. There are mixed reviews from forum members using the standard peel n stick adhesive.

Member Hammer as been testing and using the Nomex for over a year on behalf of BGE and he has had no problems.

As soon as overnight temps get above freezing I will be installing Nomex on my Large & Medium.

GG
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I know there are other products out there. When I replaced my gasket I made sure the old one came of completely and the rim was very clean, almost like brand new. I never had a gasket failed till I fried it myself. Under general cooking the gasket should last quite a while. If you do high temps every other day then the life span will be shorter. Just replace it with the standard gasket. I always let mine set for 3 days before using it and then kept temps to 350 for about 5 cooks.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Make sure you're using the "Search Forum" box to the right of the green buttons (Home, Guestbook, etc) and nto the search box at the top right corner.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    As GG said, I have been testing the Nomex for now close to two years. I personally have had no problems with the gasket or the adhesive. Some members have said that they have had problems with the adhesive. I have not.
    I've put this gasket through various tests and configurations on the egg. Burned it with a torch; exposed it to microscopic examination etc; etc;.
    The bottom line is that it's a good product. Is it the be all/end all problem to the gasket problem. I don't think so; but it is a viable/workable step and better(IMO) than what the egg has had before.
    The key to applying the Nomex is not to stretch it when applying it to the rim.
    John, at the mothership also suggests using 3m77 as an adhesive if you want to. I haven't.
    Hammer
  • pop-a- top
    pop-a- top Posts: 184
    Options
    When are they going to have the new gasket at the dealers?
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you. I don't know, and have asked the question several times. I do know that the mothership has a good supply, and I have been told that the sales for the Nomex has been good.
    If I made the decision; every dealer would have it.
    Hammer