Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are your favorite egged veggies?

Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All -[p]I'm looking for some of your favorite egged vegetable recipes. The wife and I are getting tired of corn and potatoes (in every conceivable variation).[p]I tried the grilled Sugar Dipped Pineapple last weekend from the recipes section, and the wife had a fit (loved it). Now I need some new ones to WOW her with, as the bar has been raised.[p]Does anyone else have any favorites they don't mind sharing?[p]Thanks and have a great long weekend![p]- Mike

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Charcoal Mike,
    Try this recipe. Even if you don't do the sausages, the veggies are very good.

[ul][li]Jobu & Mrs. Jobu's Sausage & Peppers [/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Charcoal Mike,
    I like em cut up, with a short marinade, and cooked in a hole-filled wok with flames licking them.[p]Here is a post I made some time ago.
    H
    owdy yall. I have been meaning to post this for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. Must have been an omen, but several folks at the Eggtoberfest were asking me
    about the how I do veggies on the egg. Here goes. For what it is worth, we really like them done this way, and guests seem to like them as well.[p]First of all, I use a grill topper "wok" with small holes in it. The first one I used had an enamel looking shiny black coating, but that did not hold up very well to the
    hi temps I like to use. The enamel flaked off, and little black specs would end up in my veggies. Not good. So I picked up a "Hoffritz" grill topper wok, that has a
    teflon type of coating which seems to be holding up much better so far. I think it was 19 bucks.[p]My favorite combo of veggies is asparagus, mushrooms, sweet onions and pineapple, but other combos work great as well. Green beans, red peppers, onions is one more
    example. Or maybe Zucchini, shrooms and onions. The possibilities are vast, and only limited by your imagination. Mushrooms, sweet onions and pineapple really
    add a lot IMO.[p]I slice the veggies and put them in a large bowl about 30 minutes prior to cooking. Nice big chunks. Then in a small bowl I mix up seasonings...again let your
    imagination go. The critical thing is to use some oil in the mix to "coat" the veggies. As an example of something I do often:
    1-2 tbsp soy sauce
    1-3 tbsp wine, sake or mirin
    1 tbsp oyster or fish sauce
    1 tsp of garlic powder (or fresh garlic)
    1 tsp sugar
    pepper to taste
    and 2 tbsp or more of peanut oil.
    Maybe a bit of sesame oil, or a tsp or so of your favorite rub. Maybe some lime juice. [p]Pour over veggies and toss with your hands to coat. Let sit 15-30 minutes. Any longer and the salts start yanking moisture out of the veggies and they shrink.[p]Once you have a good hot fire, and a glowing bed of coals all the way accross the firebox you are ready (not a huge load of coals like you would use for turbo temp
    steaks, but a smaller load, like what you have left after cooking chicken pieces). Place the grill topper wok (sprayed with oil) on your grate directly above the inferno,
    and close the lid. Dome should read between 500 and 750. After a minute or so carefully open the lid, and dump the veggies in. It should make a crisp sizzling noise as
    the veggies contact the hot steel. Spread the veggies out fairly evenly and close the lid. After 2-3 minutes open and stir well. You should see a hint of browning on some
    of the veggies. Close lid again and wait another couple minutes, and repeat this process until they are done to your liking. 5-8 minutes usually is perfect. We like them
    with a bit of crunch.[p]Cooking in a regular wok is good, and you will end up with plenty of juices, but it is not the same. There is something really special about the effect that the high heat,
    open flames and smoke have on he veggies. It is impossibe for me to explain. Just try it!![p]Hope that gives you some idears![p]Beers to you!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Charcoal Mike,
    NB's veggies are great...I have cooked these at least 6 times and everybody loves them.
    Larry

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Charcoal Mike,
    One of my favorites is to pre-steam some green beans (about 4-5 minutes) then add them to lots of sliced onion and olive oil. Preheat holed wok on egg until very hot. Add veggies and stir fry over hot coals. Sounds good, smells good, and tastes great.[p]Also like a zucchini and yellow squash stir fry (+onions +garlic +olive oil).[p]The veggies are so good, I can leave out the egged meat--- occasionally.[p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Charcoal Mike,[p]IMHO, Nature Boy's stir fried veggies are the best. They will appear on my party table this afternoon.[p]K~G

• Charcoal Mike,
    I like the okra recipe. Coat them in olive oil, generously apply salt and pepper, skewer them and cook to desired doneness. I usually cook them for the last 10-15 minutes of my cook at around 300. Tasty.