Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Irons on the Flat Iron

Options
Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did some Flat Irons coated with melted butter on the griddle a la Chef Wil. Really makes for a nice flavor.

Mike

flatiron258-1.jpg

flatiron260.jpg

flatiron261.jpg

flatiron284.jpg

flatiron272.jpg

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Wow..very nice looking..man..watch that butter at those high temps..it CAN make a crazy fire..I use stick butter and a fork to melt the butter on them after I pull them...butter in volume on the egg 'skeers' me..
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Those look like the piece of meat was cross cut across the membrane to produce those steaks instead of being cut along the mebrane to produce a long flat steak with no membrane. Have you tried them the other way? I've found flatirons in Raleigh and am doing one tonight!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    I didn't pour the butter on the griddle. The steaks were dipped in it and then went in the fridge just so there was a coating on each one. Yeah, it does sizzle.

Mike
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Doug:
    I'm a real rookie at these. I had never bought these until I read an article on them in last month's Southern Living. They had a picture of these...called them something like "old style Flatiron steaks' and also showed pictures the cut that you are talking about. It has got to be the way to go, and I've got to get my butcher educated. These were good, but sure difficult to eat.

Mike
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    very cool cook. I"m just about convinced blackening on a cast iron skillet is better than searing on a cast iron grid. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    TNW- thanks for pointing that out! You reminded me that I found a slab o' beef at BJ's that is labeled "Shoulder Muscle" but is actually the same beef that you can either slice into steaks like LR has or separate from the membrane and make into flatirons.

It was one of the cheapest cuts per pound that they had. The shape and size of the thing reminded me of a lung (inflated).
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Y'all gots some funny lookin' flat irons over d'ere in Texas, but dem pikshures shur iz purty. Great lightin' and compozishun too!

Jason
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Great photos! As the others have said, those may be from the same chunk of shoulder meat but they aren't the cut known as flatirons. What your photos do clearly demonstrate is the line of gristle down the middle and, to some extent, why the two flatirons from a single piece of shoulder are often significantly different sizes.
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Options
    Those certainly do look good. Different cut than we get here in Maryland.

Flatiron1.jpg
  • Essex County
    Options
    We see "flat irons" cut this way all the time in the northeast. They're called blade steaks. I've found one or two places that sell 'em cut the other way (and a butcher who will do it for me) but it's not common.

Paul