Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feeling special

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I read through all the Memorial Day BBQ advertising tips and techniques hoopla on the Internet and countless stores I realize how special we are to have our ceramic smokers. The recipes they mention are really kind of simple, with more emphasis given to convenience and speed than to quality cooking and succulent flavors. They speak of charcoal briquettes like they are some kind of miracle heat source, and kerosene as the only way to light a grill fire. There appears to be little concern for proper temperature or consistency, prefering instead to rely on best-guesstimates as to when to take the meat off. I wonder how many pounds of good meat will be ruined this weekend.[p]We Big Green Eggers are the luckiest back yard cooks in the world.[p]Have a great Memorial Day weekend and don't forget why we have the day off.[p]Spring Chicken
Spring Texas USA[p]

Comments

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Spring Chicken, couldnt agree more and the bes thing about the egg is the eggsperts here on this board who guide all of us in the right direction!
    have a safe and happy holiday weekend!
    beers to everyone![p]

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Spring Chicken,
    Well said! We are special. And we are a cult.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Spring Chicken, I was at Sam's today picking up 18 slabs of babybacks for my dad. I had the same thought. All these people picking up ribs, briskets, chicken and other meat for grilling.
    I thought to myself, how many types of food are you going to ruin.
    Good post, and yes EGGERS to have a better way to cook.[p]CWM

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Spring Chicken,
    I couldn't agree more! I know personally speaking, the Egg has made a better cook out of me. Unfortunately, I'm more demanding about quality when I go out and too often think..."I can do this well or better; why'd I come here?"[p]Other thing I notice: the prices of some of these gas grills that I know are going to last 3 years tops! Yes, the initial investment in the egg may be hefty but I know I won't be replacing mine anytime soon. Now, adding a second...different story!

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Shelby,[p]Eggsactly right. They ought to put a warning on these Egg thingies: "WARNING: You will never be satisfied with restaurant barbecue again, except maybe if you live in the rural South and drive really far out in the country. Otherwise, you are always going to get overcooked, dry, flavorless leather, and you will kick yourself for spending a lot of money for food that is not half as good as what you could have made yourself on your own Egg while drinking your favorite beer instead of paying four bucks for a glass of who-knows-what served by a surly teenager in a big noisy room."[p]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Shelby,
    I'm making arrangementrs for my second Egg as we speak! I told my Egg dealer he was having a raffle and that I was going to win! It took a moment or two before he figured iit out then he laughed and asked if he had to deliver it? I figure I can slip enough cash aside in the next few weeks to "win" by July 4...at laeast that's my plan at the moment.
    ;>0