Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Addding wood chunks

JCinNV
JCinNV Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok. I understand, when using fresh lump to let the smoke clear or turn light color, can i add my meat rite after putting wood chunks in ???? or let the smoke settle down a little??? thanks in advace, jc.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I will add the chunks at the beginning and allow the smoke to clear. If you use multiple good size chunks they will burn for quite a while and give enough flavor. If you prefer more smoke then add them after the VOCs burn off the lump, right before you add the meat.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    I add chunks to the lump bed before I light it. The first chunk burns off its smoldering smoke as the lump gets going. The other chunks pre-warm as the fire spreads to them and you don't get the smoldering white smoke as they try to ignite, just the good smelling / flavoring smoke.

The video you got with your Egg shows pretty much the same thing, only with chips. They lay a spiral of chips on top of the lump before lighting. The chips will pre-warm and then ignite as the fire spreads.
  • JCinNV
    JCinNV Posts: 141
    I have had my egg for a couple of years, i have been adding after the vocs burn off, and letting smoke from chunks settle down, before adding meat, just seems like some of the posts some times read add chunks, throw the food on, just curious, thanks jc
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Not a big chip fan BUT have axcess to the real thing at all times. I always start lump and let stablize with what ever set up I will be using then chunk wood and meat on at the same time. Keep a greasey set of heavy leather gloves to lift platsetter. Most long cooks will remove the meat hour to 30 min. b4 I think it will come off and add more wood. Have 3 rocks on the ground I set the rack on while I add wood to keep everything clean and no clean up.