Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Butt Set Up for 40

Options
AzScott
AzScott Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,

Looking to get some help and wise experience from all of you. My sister is having a wedding shower next Saturday and I need to cook for 40. On the EGG!!! Anyways, I'm thinking about doing pork butts for pulled pork and a brisket. I've done about 7 butts at this point but have never done a brisket. I'm thinking I can rig a raised grid and put 4 butts below and then have the brisket above. Does anyone have any ideas and suggestions?

To keep things warm I'm planning on using the cooler method all of you use.

Thanks!

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning AzScott:

I did pulled pork for my son's wedding rehearsal dinner last year for about the same number of people (along with a few other items). I did the pulled pork in advance (the weekend before) and just reheated it the night of the dinner. The side dishes were done just before everyone showed up, but then it helped me that I have two large Eggs to work with.

Link to post about dinner

Hope this helps!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Minneggsotan
    Options
    Jay,

In your linked to post, you mentioned you made corn souffle with all of your other great looking eats. My wife loves corn souffle and I've been trying to figure out how to do it on the egg. How do you do yours? I'm assuming that if your now daughter in law requested it, it must be GOOD!

~Justin
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    For something as important as a wedding shower you probably should follow SSN686's advice and cook them in advance. There's just too much that can go wrong with all the other stuff going on. Butts and brisket warms up really well and tastes like it just came off the Egg, but if you screw up and under/over cook it you not only have to call for pizza delivery but you will certainly disrupt all the plans. Brides like everything to go perfectly.

You could always cook them a couple of days before and re-heat them in the Egg.

I'm with Jay (SSN686) on this, I would cook the meat well in advance and cook the sides on the day of the shower. Certainly less stress on you to perform well.

Spring "Been There Done That" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Minneggsotan:

You couldn't ask for a simpler recipe (has to be or I probably couldn't do it).

Ingredients:
    0.5 cup butter
    2 boxes/bags (6.5 oz) corn muffin mix
    16 oz. sour cream
    2 cans creamed corn (I think 10 oz. cans, but I can't remember for sure)
    4 eggs

Pre-heat Egg to 350
    Melt the 0.5 cup butter in large casserole dish
    Mix the remaining ingredients in a large bowl until moistened
    Pour into casserole dish (that has butter in it)
    Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until golden brown on top (Egg setup is usually platesetter with feet up and grid on feet. Casserole dish on grid)

I have also split it into two pans and cook one on the platesetter and the other on the grid. I think you can see what I am saying by the picture below. This was done at the 2007 Florida EggFest on my son's medium and was just after I put them on. I usually swap positions with the pans about half way through the cook also.
    P3170022.jpg

Hope this helps!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Eggmeister, Ph.D
    Options
    I use the same souffle recipe but add some sour cream.
  • Minneggsotan
    Options
    Thanks Jay! Will give it a try this weekend!
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll plan on cooking them the day before. Are the flavorsaver bags worth it or would a bunch of large ziplocks work ok?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i would definately do them ahead and use a foodsaver. foodsaver bags dont melt when reheating in boiling water. there are some problems to deal with during a big cook like that and unless you have done one before, you will not get any sleep during that cook. i would still cook a brisket with a butt over it for the event, but i would have the bulk of the food prepared ahead of time. if you dont have a foodsaver, this is a great time to think about getting one.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AzScott,
    With that many people I would not get too spread out on offering different kinds of foods. Especially Butts and brisket. I just did pulled pork for 35. I did four of them, kept one for the house and the big 3 went on to feed the masses. I was worried it would not be enough, but most had seconds and they still had 2 gallon sized bags left over.
    Picture001.jpg