Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked olives?

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been eating olives a lot lately (one of the local supermarkets - Shoppers Food Warehouse - has a great olive bar) and I wonder what they would be liked smoked. I imagine some smoked olives ground into a paste would make a great spread for French or Italian bread.[p]Has anyone tried smoking olives on the Egg?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Qfan is your Man.

[ul][li]One thread on smoked olives. More out there![/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    BluesnBBQ, as my 2 cents worth was already added to that thread Nature Boy routed you to - but I never make a pizza anymore where I don't include pieces of smoked olives. That is a perfect taste addition. BTW I'm just now finishing up the last of a large jar I smoked 8 months ago. I drained and washed out the jar and just keep them refrigerated in that state. Guess the smoking perserves them someway.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    BluesnBBQ, Just finished saying goodbye to my dad who was over for lunch. I give him a call whenever there's leftover que and he drops in the next day for lunch! Today's menu was brisket on a bun with hickory and garlic mustard, smoked provolone cheese and.......smoked kalamata olives! I prefer applewood for cheese and olives, but use whatever you like (cherry is also interesting on cheese). A couple hours at 200 for the olives (until they start to 'prune', or until salt from the brine starts to crystalize on the surface). Shuffle them about every half hour or so for even smoking. Nice snack! I like em warmed up a bit so today I popped about a cup's worth in the microwave for 20 seconds and we snacked on em throughout our visit.
    Qfan

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try smoking some next week. My pizza pan (the one with holes in it, which I use for pumpkin seeds) should be ideal for this.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Try different varieties from that olive bar, Steve. I have found the kalamatas to yield best results (for me), but often mix in some large black and queen green for variety. Key is to used brined, not the blacks packed in salt water.
    Qfan