Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

non egg belivers coming to dinner

Options
billex
billex Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a couple of non egg belivers coming for dinner Saturday.
I have only cooked once on my new large egg (2 Rib-eyes) they turned out fantastic.
He likes baby back ribs she does not.
She likes pork but he does not like it stuffed.
Ahhhh
Sorry
I was thinking maybe do some ribs at 1.30 they arrive 6.30 I could let the ladies catch up and he and I could sample the 5 hour ribs with a beer or two.
But what for the main coures? any suggustion would be very welcome.
Two hours before we got to bed I would like to put a pork butt on, mainly to show him how it smokes and smell (oh that smell yummm)
I might just do the Scallops Wrapped in Bacon for another app, I found this one on the BGE recipe page.
Thanks to everyone in advance
billex

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    billex,

I would go with the Spatchcocked, it woks very time.[p] Earl

[ul][li]Chicken[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    billex,
    Since "she likes pork but he does not like it stuffed" you might want to do just the scallops for appetizers and go with pork tenderloins for main course. Doesn't have to be stuffed; simple easy cook that doesn't take long to prepare.
    Another option might be to do a couple of chickens. Always come out very juicy...kind of basic but sometimes when you cook something so basic as a chicken far better than expected it works.

• Unknown
    Options
    Earl,
    Yup. Go with the chicken. Cheap, simple, and tastes great. A true crowd pleaser.[p]Matt.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    billex, the cbacon wrapped scappols are a winner. Just besure to have a pan under the scallops as they cook or the fat from the bacon will cause flame ups that will burn the bacon. You're looking for a cooked bacon but not black. The surprisingthing is that while scallops only take a few minutes to actually cook, they do not dry out during the longer cook with the bacon. And...They are fantastic. Just add a little cocktail sauce for a great treat.[p]As for the main course, I like the tenderloin idea. A marinated or brined tenderloin (unstuffed) is delicious. Slice it thin and then serve three or four slices fanned out. If you really want to make a presentation, cook down some of the marinade and grill a few stalks of asparagus (pu it on direct for about five minutes at the end of the cook). Place the asparagus on the plate, put several slices of tenderloin over the asparagus and then drizzle some of the reduced marinade over the meat.

• Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Options
    Wise One,
    Stop it Wise One you are making me hungry![p]Steve

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Wise One, Again, gotta agree with you Bill. Keep it simple. It's a social occasion; you are trying to show them the ease with which you can create great food on the Egg; not put on a cooking seminar. Appetizers are good: ribs are nice, because you can do the work beforehand and they arrive in time for the fantastic results. For an hour 'spacer' between rib appetizer and something else, go with some chicken wings! They take 45-50 minutes to render to crispy perfection and, unlike some of the other suggestions of chicken, the smoke and pink meat texture doesn't turn guests off because of the small individual pieces. Entre? Yeah, a pork loin will fill the one hour gap after wings in excellent fashion! Some pecan smoke, indirect, 300 degree fire, a good basic rub and you have served up an excellent meal! A nice clean, crisp salad to clear the palate between the smoked food courses, a hearty bread perhaps, a crisp lager or light Reisling or Zinfadel and you are the hit of the party. That's the way I'd play it out (and have on numerous occasions).
    Enjoy, whichever method you choose!
    Qfan

• billex
    billex Posts: 27
    Options
    Wise One, I think I will go with your suggustion. Couple more questions, You suggusted a simple marinade for the Pork Tenderloin? what temp should the pork be for medium? what temp should i cook at? How long should it take?
    Thanks again for you suggustions[p]billex