Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New addition to my egg family

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After going to Waldorf and talking to so many that cook on the small size of the Big Green Egg, I took the jump today and bought a small to go with my Large Egg. My buddy bought a Mini so between his house and mine we are well equiped with eggs :)
Any suggestions on differences in cooking with the small vs. the large. Going to break in the weekend at a beach house. Please advise.
P.S. It was great pulling up to the house with a wife shaking her head as I unstrapped the egg from the back seat belt !!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Neal.
    Was good talking to you in Waldorf. The small egg takes longer to get going, especially with large loads of lump. The draft door is much smaller. I find for most direct cooks, a very small load of charcoal will do the job nicely. I will get plenty hot...just takes a bit longer. [p]Just one aspect. It is a great little cooker.
    Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Byrdo
    Byrdo Posts: 36
    Neal from Mobile,[p]I was just in Sanddollar on Friday looking to purchase a small egg too and the lady salesperson mentioned your name and said you were looking for another egg to go along with your large like myself. It's such a small world. Let me know how you like the small. I am planning to wait for the sale at Fathers Day.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Neal from Mobile,
    Congrats...I personally find that when cooking something on the small ( say a steak ) if I would have cooked it at 650° on my large I will cook at 600° or a little less on the small, due to the fact that the meat is much closer to the coals than it would be on the large. As far as a steak goes...closer to the coals is a good thing. I`m sure you`ll get the hang of it right away..good luck and Enjoy..[p]Wess

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Byrdo,
    WHAT sale at Father's Day in Mobile? Did theymention a price? I'm in New Orleans and it might be worth my time driving over!

• Shelby, Sand Dollar Birkenstock in Mobile 251-343-4404 usually has a sale around Father's Day, and on the Shrimp Festival weekend in October. The same guy owns the stores in Mobile, Gulf Shores, and Orange Beach, and carries the Big Green Egg. He is a charter fishing captain, and as I understand, started cooking on the Egg on his boat, and then he liked it so much he decided to get the franchise for this area.

• Neal from Mobile,
    WAY TO GO NEAL, GO TERPS

• Byrdo
    Byrdo Posts: 36
    Shelby,[p]This message is from "Byrdman" in NOLA. I had to change my name to keep people from confusing me with the other "birdman".[p]I will let you know next week what is going to be on sale. I am thinking about buying a small for my brother as a wedding gift and I thing I might just have to get two if the deal is good enough. I maybe could pick one up for you if I do decide to get them. [p]I still would like to see your table; however, things have been pretty busy for me the last few weeks.