Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sheriff Dep. Fl.

Pork Butt Mike
Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I got a surprize tonight with a visit from the local sheriff dep. My neighbor called because he said I was making to much smoke tonight. I was cooking ribs on the large, and some smoked cheese on the small. I laugh when the sheriff told me that. But he said it smelled real good. I gave in a taste of some cheese and he loved it. So I wrapped up a hunk for he could take home.

He love the concept of the Eggs and never seen one before. We must have talk for allmost a hour. Now he is interested. Needless to say my neighbor was not a happy camper. Oh well he will get over it atleast for tonight. The smoking will go on. I guess his wife just can't cook like the eggs can. LOL.....

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Jealousy is such an evil emotion.. I think we should petition for a jealousy color change because GREEN is a good thing
  • Pork Butt Mike
    You hit the nail right on the head Pete. Life goes on and he will always be miserable person.
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    I can understand why your neighbor is irked... Night after night you taunt him with the bouquet of aromas that eminate from your eggs and waft through the neighborhood. He can't take it... feed the man before he goes postal on you !!!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Lucky me my neighbor produces better BBQ then I do and I am married to his daughter :laugh:

Then again round these parts the person complainin' would be arrested.. :woohoo:
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Pork Butt Mike:

Too bad HungryMan is a Hillsborough Sheriff Dep. You could call him to come over and visit your neighbor for making frivolous police reports! He could even drive up with his small Egg in the back of his cruiser.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Celtic Wolf
    When I lived in California I had a neighbor who complained to complex management that my BBQ kept him up all night. His complain was it smelled so damn good he couldn't sleep :woohoo:

I feed him regularly and he endured the lack of sleep..
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I first thought Alan might have had some fun with Mike. Maybe he could get Alan to have a bit of fun with the neighbor.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    You just need to learn how to make dough nuts on the Egg. then you'll be safe. -RP
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Hopefully, you don't live where there is homeowners association. Your neighbor might complain to the Board that your smoke is a nuisance that interferes with his right to quiet enjoyment of his property.

If your neighbor continues to complain, you might want to purchase a couple of Harleys and fre up the engines several times a day.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    I got rid of the neighbors....... :laugh:
    GreenEgg013.jpg
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Man that reminds me of the time I got a knock on the door from the local police. Evidently the neighbor whose address is the official bus stop did not like children standing in her driveway at the sidewalk. I couldn't get the city to move the bus stop but we just moved it ourselves. Eventually the bus driver got the hint.

I pointed out to the young man (I swear that kid looked 19) that the neighbors car was blocking the sidewalk and that was a violation "should I call that in?". He sunk his head down and told me to do whatever I thought I needed to do. I didn't call and harass the poor guy anymore.

There are some of "those" kinds of people in every neighborhood.

There is an Egger in Dayton that had similar problems with his neighbor saying the smoke was making her house dirty. She settled down eventually.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Rollocks we do have a homeowners association I use to be on the board and that was a joke. I caught them breaking the laws more then the homeowners. As for the Harleys I have two friends that come by, so if this guy keeps it up then I guess I will have to invite them over more often.

So for today I guess I gonna have to go out and get something that I can smoke. I LOVE SMOKE FLAVOR. All kidding a side this guy is just loneley older man and is allways calling the police on someone. He has nothing better to do. I guess its just my month. I learn to live with people like this and instead of getting mad, I like to smile and wave at them. Then they don't know what to think of that.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    We have a name for those folks around here Mike...we call 'em 'whankers' ;)B) :woohoo:
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Call the sheriff's office and complain that you smell what appears to be a dead body coming from is house. Do it around dinner time. That will show him what you think of his cooking. They have a chili cookoff at Channelside tomorrow.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Just say the word and I'll wheel down there and help with the 'cue -at least eating some ;) - and I can bring a little roar to boot.

MalloryHarleySmall.jpg

I love getting up at dawn when I have an overnighter going and the still morning air smells so good you can taste it - no sounds but a few birds singing. The lingering smoke sits in the creek valley behind the house and I sit with my coffee watching it drift and just enjoy life.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Hey buddy now thats funny. I can't stop laughing. I decided to do another smoked butt today. I think I will have to add a little more wood then normal. You got to love the smoke.
  • Wonka
    Wonka Posts: 68
    Pork Butt Mike said:
    I learn to live with people like this and
    instead of getting mad, I like to smile and wave at them. Then they don't know what to think of
    that.

Romans 12:18-21 says:
    18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. 19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord. 20 "BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD." 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I think you have the right idea!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    And remember to aim the fan in the right direction!
    8 - )
  • I had to respond to a call one time, regarding a smoke complaint at, get this, a campground.
    With a lake, campers, tents, families...everything. Turns out, these two guys idea of a good time was to trailer their big off-set smoker to the lake and start cooking. They would cook enough food to pretty much feed the whole campground, which they would do, for free. They just liked to cook and to meet new people. You know, kick back, have a few beers, talk BBQ with newly made friends...real America type stuff. The complainants were even upwind from the BBQer's. I informed the complainants that they had two vehicles illegally parked on a public right-of-way. I also asked for (and was shown) their fishing permits. The real fun was when I asked them if they had a valid tag for their canoe. We are one of only two states that require a canoe/kayak tag. They didn't know this. I did.
    Got to eat for free that day
    Got to meet some real nice people
    Got to give an "attitude adjuster" to some real jerks
    Had to take some Q back to my supervisor
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    LOL at some of the responses! But honestly, you should really take him some food, some cheese or something. If he's lonely, he would really appreciate it. Maybe organize a neighborhood potluck at your place with you doing the meat. (and cheese) Then quietly give him a pack of leftovers to take home.
  • Rascal
    Yea, a little kindness can go a long way. Then again, if the guy said something like "Man, that smells good!" he probably would have enjoyed a free meal or two in return. Amazing what you can get from people if you butter them up a little first!

Rascal
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Take him food, no way! I like the fan Idea. In fact, I would leave out the lump and put wood only. Then give him a 24hr low n slow.
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    If I were your neighbor, I would dress up as a cop and come to your door saying that I need to confiscate all of your tasty treats!!!
  • Pork Butt Mike
    I try to be a real good person since this man and his wife moved in. He will never say hello unless I do first and its like he really don't mean it if he does respond back.

Take him some food, when fish fly. I will cook all day and all night for anyone that wants to eat. But I will never cook for this man, he is just a old _asterd. He don't like no one I don't even think he likes himself.

So I am smoking now, a lot more then I need to for this butt, and the wind is blowing just right today. The gods are with me. All he had to do was come over and speak to me like a man would, but he had to make that call and not even come out side when the officer showed up.

I think I need to make a New Port Richey Fl. Egg fest here next month. I might even supple all the food for it just bring your eggs and lots of wood. NO COAL for this fest. LOL
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Every one in a while, life is good.

GG
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Wonka,

I've always wondered about the part of that verse "heap burning coals on his head" part. Do you think that it is saying to be nice to the person and they will turn red in the face from embarassment? You know how red you get in the face and hot when you get embarasssed? So if you are nice when they are not, it will embarass them to death? Just curious what your thoughts are.
  • Rascal
    A while back someone mentioned that you could bring the neighbors to their knees by putting an onion or two right on the lump during a long, slow cook. Probably wouldn't hurt the food any either! Poor guy... He finds a way to make himself miserable over your good cookin'! And if you stopped, he would find another way!~~ 8 - )

Rascal
  • AL
    AL Posts: 81
    PBM

NOW YOU USE SMOKE TO SAY WHATS ON YOUR MIND. YOU MUST HAVE SOME NATIVE INDIAN IN YOU.

AL
  • Reminds me of why I just moved from Bradenton Fl to Athens GA. I'm from this part of the world but it still amazes me how genuinely nice people are here compared to FL.

Jet
  • Wonka
    Wonka Posts: 68
    Angie2B:

I think you're right, and it's sometimes an internal and sometimes an external reaction that they have. I read that that verse alludes to those who melt metals; they not only put fire under them, but heap fire upon them. See how Saul was melted and conquered with the kindness of David, in 1 Samuel 24:16; 26:21.

Think about (stupid example) the show COPS. When a criminal gets caught doing stupid crimes and starts escalating things, they usually get caught in a web of lies, foolishness, and embarassment after the officer calmly explains their situation to them. (I don't know HOW those drugs got in my pocket officer! They just appeared, I swear!) Usually they get driven away handcuffed and ashamed. Most officers aren't out to pick fights, they're just there to do their job. If however the officer were to argue loudly, throw fists, etc. it would just get uglier and could end up in a bloodbath. By taking the thug off to jail, it lets his conscience convict him of his fault.

I've got some nasty neighbors next door. They're old and hate each other. The first time my wife and I tried to bring them cookies, she shoved them back into our faces and said "we don't eat cookies!" But instead of being mad at them, we just continued to say hi and be friendly. A few weeks later, I saw them having trouble starting their lawn mower. I offered to help, discovered they had no oil in the tank and got it fixed. Since then, they're the nicest people to us. They still hate each other, but they saw that we loved them unconditionally and have since returned it in their own quirky way.

Pork Butt Mike:
    I'll head down highway 54 and give you $5 if your neighbor doesn't soften up after you offer him free egged food!