Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Ribs

Options
BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently bought a 'slab' of country style ribs and it looks like today is the day they get smoked up. I have not done these before. I understand these are more pork chop than they are spare rib, so I was wondering how you folks tackle these things? I see in recipe section that NB does his Vietnature treatment on them and separates them in the process. Can they be successfully cooked/rendered whole slab? If so, how long should I allow for the 2.5 lb slab?
Any suggestions appreciated.....
Qfan

Comments

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]When I had "Country Style Ribs", they were cut into individual "riblets" and not a whole slab. However, I really don't see any difference in cooking either[p]I used the 3-1-1 method and never looked back. Drop dead delicious every time. [p]Rubs, etc are to be by your taste, but I used Tony Chacerie's seasoning with olive oil smeared after the seasoning, one hour in the fridge, one hour in the freezer, then smoked indirect at 200° (or less) for about 1/2 hour, then 350° indirect for the 3-1-1. Note the last 1 is direct.[p]Cajun
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Cajun,[p]Typo in my previous post. 250° not 350°[p]Sorry 'bout dat[p]Cajun

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    I am not sure what you have...Country ribs are cut from a boston butt...I have never seen a slab of them...You may have a bone in pork loin,that's what a crown roast is made out of.
    Larry

• BBQfan1
    Options
    YB,
    Here is the definition of them from the Virtualbullet site:
    ... Country-style ribs are either split pork chops from the blade end of the loin, or they're cut from the shoulder closest to the loin. Good eating, but not true ribs to most people.....
    The package said 'loin end' so I imagine that's the one I have. Being from that end, they are leaner than what the butt/shoulder end would be, I would imagine. Sounds like it's the bridge between shoulder and loin and carries elements of each (meaty loin, but higher fat content than those 'high on the hog' cuts). Hmmm, may have to do a little 'sperimentation. I will attempt to treat them like a fatty rib and go longer and lower than a loin cut. Indirect 250, whole slab over drip pan for maybe 4 hours, then slice into one and see if it's rendering out. If not then maybe I'll slice and/or go direct to finish. Letcha know how it goes...
    Thanks
    Qfan

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Let us know how they turn out...I cook my crown roast at 350 degrees and internal temp is 150 degrees.Mike I hope it turns out as good as your ribs at eggfest...They were great.
    Larry

• BBQfan1
    Options
    YB,
    I will certainly let you know! Thanks for the vote of confidence on the ribs at Eggfest! It blows away this frost-bitten Canadian to get compliments on his efforts from folks in the 'Barbecue Belt' who've grown up on high quality que. It was great to meet you and Kaye in MD. The bacon-wrapped watermelon were unique, as well as excellent tasting. Great to meet those whose words you digest everyday; my impression of YB was, and continues to be, 'a true Southern Gentleman'.
    Qfan