Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature

Bob In Texas
Bob In Texas Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm contemplating purchasing an egg. I have been looking through old posts for answers to questions and have found all of them with the exception of one.[p]Is it easy to keep the internal temperature between 140 to 150 degrees for smoking?

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    What is it that you are trying to smoke or cook at that low of a temperature? Big rig smokers at $1500.00 to $8000.00 wont hold a temperature that low.Nor will the oven in your house.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Robert,
    my one word answer NO... i have held 110 for over an hour to smoke cheese
    EGGER022508002.jpg
    and held 250 for 24 hours for some boston butts but i am not sure what you would try to smoke at 140- 150. i am sure with a guru or stoker type unit you could but i am still trying to figure if you are talking jerky.. or what!! LOL[p]tell us what you are trying to smoke and we could proabably provide you with better info...[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Would you please clarify the word internal? Generally we refer to internal as the "internal" temperature of the product we are cooking.
    If you are looking for the dome or grid temperature that is a different matter.
    A dome or grid temp of 150 or less can be done, but can be difficult.
    Regards,
    Hammer
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Just wondering why you say you are contemplating purchasing an egg when your profile from August 07 states that you have a large and need nothing more?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    just a guess, but his name is so common, i'd bet my grandmother's tombstone he just filled in "robert" as his name, and putting in the guest password let him post under that name.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    sounds like you mean cold-smoking. yes, some guys here go that low for cold smoking (truly brined/smoked salmon, cheese, etc.).

it's hard to do it more than a few hours, though you might have a better chance with a powered vent rig (a 'bbq guru', for example).

if you want to cold smoke hams or something substantial, you're talking days of cold smoking. can't imagine you mean that. though id you really wanted to, you could use the egg as a source for the smoke, and vent it to a smoke box. i have gone 32 hours at 250 with enough lump left over to go another 12 hours probably. if you did that, and vented to a smoke box, you'd have cold smoke temps in the smoke box for at least 40 hours. cold smoked bacon would be entirely manageable.

hot smoking (salmon, buckboard bacon, etc.) is done around 160-180... those temps are do-able. might want a controlled draft unit, but not entirely required.

traditional barbecue, though, and is usually around 225-275. those temps are easy in the egg, with no wires required at all.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jerky every week or 10 days at 150 no problem,with the Guru pit minder.Follow the directions on TNW's site and the hardest part will be finding a 2 lb coffee can.
    Jim
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    it takes a little experience, and some tweaking, but you can keep it between 140 and 150 fairly easy for 7 or 8 hours, it may spike to 170 a few times but it doesnt hurt anything. the texture is a little different than traditional jerkey as the egg isnt built for drying things out, but its really good stuff. its not a cook that i would do first, you would want to get some experience with low and slow pulled pork, ribs etc before trying jerkey.

2005_0110Image0006.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WJS
    WJS Posts: 54
    BENTE,[p]Well, I just started looking on the forum for about this exact same thing, and somebody else is already asking![p]I just ate at a restaurant wher I had some of the best tri tip ever. They say 15 HOURS @ 140. Oven was an "Alto-Shaam", which seems similar to a Fast Eddy FEC100.[p]So now i'm curious.[p]With a Guru/Stoker, what's the longest/lowest anybody has done?[p]Oh yeah, posting on the old forum cause I'm still having problems withthe new one - I'll monitor both for answers.